pruning viburnum

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by stargrass, Apr 20, 2007.

1. stargrass

stargrass Member

Can I prune a viburnum bodnatense to become more of a bushy shrub than a tree?

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

In spring of every second or third year cut out one stem in three cutting them back to the base, just above ground level. After the old and weak branches have been removed, continue with those that will open up the middle and improve the shape...

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Shrubby vase is the natural habit. No pruning required to get this. Old, unpruned specimens in Seattle still look great left to own devices after decades. Some are availabe pruned to be patio trees. These cost more, trying to revert one of these to a multiple stem natural habit specimen would run counter to having paid extra for the single trunk tree shape.

4. stargrass

stargrass Member

Thank You Levilyla! This is exactly what I needed to know. However, Ron B- You have me paranoid that I might be messing with something not designed to be messed with... My intention is to develop by bodnantense into a dense, low growing shrub rather than a tree. My intentions are to mess around!!!

5. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

Well I don't know about a "dense low growing shrub"...but you CAN prune it. If you want a dense low growing shrub you should consider something else.

6. stargrass

stargrass Member

Well, right now my viburnum is perhaps five feet tall, 4 years old. It is growing to look like a tree, but it's base is of a definate shrub like consistancy... I just uploaded a picture of it... I would like the whole thing to have that bushy consistancy. Check it out... Do you think it's possible??

Attached Files:

• 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      1 MB
      Views:
  7. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Will just have to keep pruning it back, not so sure if it will bloom on 1 year old growth though.

8. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

That is rather leggy.....I would try and cut it back.

9. Alexiamei

Alexiamei Member

Mine was leggy a couple of years ago (just like yours) but since then the tall branches have branched out and it looks a lot more bushy and rounded now without any pruning. I bought it as a small twig, it did not grow much the first couple of years, then it shot up suddently and since then it has not gained much height but filled up and branched out instead.

10. Luv2Grdn

Luv2Grdn Active Member

This is my Viburnum. It's about 10 years old and get all morning sunlight and part of the afternoon. It's about 10 ft. tall and make a great dense hedge. Can't see much of my neightbors garage anymore. I have done some pruning. Mainly the top. Mine is planted in the ground as well. Not a pot like your. Love the mushroom in pict.

Attached Files: