pruning olive trees

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Keke, May 6, 2010.

1. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

We've had an Arbequina olive tree since 2006, and it obviously loves us because if it grows any more it won't fit into the greenhouse -- even right in the centre. So I'd like to prune it, essentially take off the leader (it's kind of tall and skinny, and I'd like it to be more bushy). When's the best time of year to do this? How much could I realistically take off without worrying I've killed the poor thing? It was a gift from a family member to commemorate a loved one who passed away so I don't want to do anything to harm it.
    thanks bunches
    keke

2. 1950Greg

1950Greg Active Member

Langley, B.C. Stones throw from old HBC farm.
  3. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Well, I should have thought of that first, duh. So here's what I found: don't prune until the tree's more than four years old (check), prune when it's in flower (check), when topping don't take more than 1/3 off (check), topped trees will sprout from the topped point so cut lower than you think you need (I would have thought that was obvious) and olives will sprout from hard wood (don't know yet). So my 1/3 shorter olive tree and me will happily ride off into the sunset now...
    :-)
    keke