Pruning my Sweet Autumn Clematis

Discussion in 'Vines and Climbers' started by Renee, May 18, 2008.

1. Renee

Renee Member

I have a beautiful Sweet autumn Clematis that is about 6 or 7 years old it climbs up my Pergola and now across the top which is what we wanted it to do. My problem is always come spring it looks awful. It looks like dead brush and I never know what I should do with it. Last year I just got on a ladder and pruned all the dead brush. I have been reading that I should prune it almost down to the ground. I am very nervous doing this since my daughter is getting married next summer 2009 and we will be doing lots of pictures in the back yard. My question is if I prune it down now will it be just as full and tall, across the top of the pergola, or will it only get to be a few feet high by next year? And would I also prune it again next spring before her wedding or leave it alone? Thanks for any help...

2. franny1

franny1 Member

My sweet autumn is huge after just 3 years. I was worried about cutting it back this spring as well -- but I did it -- just about 6 inches from the ground. Within a week or two there was much new growth. Now it's over the top of the trellis again and trying to grab my other perennials in the garden. It might be too late in the season to start cutting it back -- I pruned in mid April (Ohio).
    Good luck and enjoy the sweet smell in the autumn.