pruning hollies

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by Davidm, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Davidm

Davidm Active Member 10 Years

I have three hollies,don't know if they are American Holly or Japanese Holly,but they need pruned.They have been trained into round balls(ick!).I would like to get them back to a more natural shape.Is it to late to cut them hard back?I hate when shubs are hacked into balls and squares.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Maybe just do nothing if you want the natural habit. Each has a genetic blueprint to assume a certain shape, which it will resume doing if left unmolested.

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Let them grow naturally for two or three years to see how they develop. If (as may well happen) they start to develop more than one erect stem, then prune back the competing erect stems so you have just one strong-growing erect trunk on each plant.

4. alang

alang Member

can someone suggest "when" holly should be prunned? We're already past winter (into the rainy season - though not, entirely, past frost).
    Thanks!

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think it matters a lot when you prune hollies. Now is as good as any time.

6. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

"Late summer, when the new growth is ripe, or December for holiday decorations."

--Pruning & Training, Cristopher Brickell/David Joyce

7. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

February is the best time to prune Holly...but I have done it anytime I feel like it and it never seems to bother them. As much or as little as you like.

8. PrairieGirl

PrairieGirl Member

Hey levilyla! *waving* I have three evg inkberry hollies out front. The cultivar I bought, 'Shamrock,' is supposed to stay compact, with a round growth habit. Just in case it gets leggy, like all the other inkberries, I have dicovered a great facer plant, 'Crimson Pygmy' barberry. It will stay in a compact mound and is free from rust! What do you think?

9. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

LOL...I think that sounds good. I love Crimson Pygmy. Also try some Callicarpa dichtoma behind them...such beautiful berries.