British Columbia: Pruning Grapes

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Pastrudel, May 1, 2010.

1. Pastrudel

Pastrudel Member

Hello,

I am currently visiting in Vernon (zone 4) and the home I'm at has some 20 yr old grape vines that have not been pruned for at least 8yrs. The green grapes have not started to bud yet and i have pruned some vines but they are bleeding now. Should I be doing something to help them stop? They produce grapes each year so I wasnt too worried until the bleeding started (been about 6 days now). Plus there is a red grape as well that is in bud and I'd like to prune them back a bit but am hesitant.

I welcome any comments or advise that you could pass on to me.

Regards,
    Pastrudel

2. Pasquale

Pasquale Active Member

The best time for pruning grape vines is always winter or early spring to give enough time to heal the cuts, preventing bleeding and contamination from spores. To stop the bleeding now you might try something that pop into my mind this morning. With a small propane torch try searing the end cuts like you would sear meat to prevent bleeding. I never try this but it might works.

3. Pastrudel

Pastrudel Member

Thank you for the suggestion. Would "Seal & Heal" work?

p

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

"The bleeding will stop" is the usual advice, but I would hold off on additional pruning until there are several fully formed leaves on the shoots you wish to retain. Any buds that have not yet or just opened can be "rolled" off with a thumb if they are not where you would wish to see growth.

Are you going to be there over the next winter? If so, then do a bit now but save the main pruning till the vines are dormant next winter.

The pruning paint will not likely adhere as the sap will just push it off.

Ralph

5. Pastrudel

Pastrudel Member

thank you ralph

yes that makes sense... i am in vernon every other month so am confident that i can get the vines pruned harder next december/january

appreciate everyones input.

regards,

patricia