pruning drawf japanese maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by pattie, May 20, 2009.

1. pattie

pattie Member

Hi, new to growing japanese maples. I need to know how and when to prune these trees.

2. pattie

pattie Member

Hi, i need help pruning japanese maples when and how thanks

3. sasquatch

sasquatch Active Member

4. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

In general, I would say Japanese maples don't need much pruning. They can usually be left to assume their graceful natural shape.

5. debviolet

debviolet Active Member 10 Years

pattie, you are not alone! the trees do have a natural beauty but i've read about the need to prune to bring out the beauty of the tree, esp. with the dissectums, which are often staked as well. i would love guidance on this issue. i've even,in desperation, wondered if looking at books on the design principles of bonsai, and whether they could be applied to the 'big' trees with pleasing results. debviolet

6. xman

xman Active Member

7. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

See FAQs in this forum, please.

Gomero

8. spookiejenkins

spookiejenkins Active Member

I have a few dwarf cultivars and they usually keep an attractive shape on their own. The only thing I worry myself with where pruning is concerned, are the crossing or too dense branches toward the center of the tree. I think Jms always look best when the gracefulness of their form is revealed. Other than that - I just pinch prune the terminal bud of any new shoot that is trying to take off on it's own. By just pinching out the very last buds on any branch heading in a direction you don't like - you can make a maple tree, dwarf or otherwise, look any way you wish. The best time to do a major overhaul in form is in the early spring when the buds are just starting to swell. Besides that time, you never want to take off more than 1/4 of the tree at a time. The best thing to do is just trim often and lightly. The exception to this is when the tree is dormant - NEVER PRUNE THEM THEN. I hope this helps a little. :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009