pruning Dracaena Marginata

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by tg5398, Oct 3, 2013.

1. tg5398

tg5398 New Member

I've read some articles on pruning the Dracaena Marginata Plant, but I either missed or overlooked the part where the stalks can be separated and replanted on their own. There are five stalks in this one pot my wife received when her son was killed in a motorcycle accident two years ago, and they are reaching 5-6 feet, and are root bound, and I don't even know what type of soil to use . I am an amateur and have no clue on this or actually what to do to this period. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ted

Attached Files:

2. TotalAlina

TotalAlina Active Member 10 Years

D.M.'s are sturdy, but very slow growing. It can be a bit frustrating to expect interesting changes in this plant.

This one looks like is in good shape, and has a lot of sentimental value, so option 1 is to do nothing, but keep watering (not too much) and see how it goes and reevaluate next year.

Option 2 is more interesting and doesn't carry much risk. Choose one stalk, the least pretty one (e.g., one that's too curvy or too tall). With very sharp knife / scissors / secator, cut into 6-8" chunks, starting about 6-8" from the ground. The 6" stump left behind with roots in the original pot should sprout new growth off to the side from the cut. The chunks: stick 1" deep into a separate pot filled with regular potting soil (bottoms down!), keep it moist. They should root in 6 weeks and also start sprouting new green leaves off to the side of the cut. Chances of rooting improved if you dip bottoms in rooting hormone. Allows you to preserve the original plant and try to make new ones.

Option 3: repot the whole thing into bigger pot. Be prepared that it will drop 80% of the leaves, which can be a bit scary. They do come back on top, so they will be even taller soon.

Option 4: same as 3, but divide or slice the rootball to separate plants. But then you will have 5 leggy plants in individual pots, getting even taller, so that's not too interesting?..

I did option 2 half a year ago, 4/5 cuttings rooted, the leaves are 6" long now (I did say they were slow, right?).

Good luck!

3. TotalAlina

TotalAlina Active Member 10 Years

P.S. Attached is the illustration of what the new growth looks like when you prune. It's off to the side, below the cut, so it doesn't maintain the "single-stalk" straight appearance.

Attached Files:

• temp.jpg
      temp.jpg
      File size:
      337.8 KB
      Views: