Pruning Apple Tree (Photo Attached)

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by All Thumbs, Jan 24, 2010.

1. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Member

Hello everyone!

It has recently become my responsibility to prune the Apple Tree in the attached picture.
    I have no knowledge of pruning Apple trees except that the vertical limbs are referred to as "suckers" and should be lopped off.

Well, almost ALL of the branches are vertical so what now? I understand that the tree was pruned 7 years ago so these branches are well established. Should I lop them all off? (Vertical shooters)

Hope you can see enough detail as the contrast is not great. I can go back to the property if necessary and take a better picture.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Grant Gussie

Grant Gussie Active Member

Your tree was clearly pruned into the older "open vase" style instead of the "central leader" style more common today. Thats no problem. But the tree has since gone out of control, which is.

I would start by drastically thinning the younger vertical growth (which around here are called water spouts, not suckers by the way. I dont know why.). I am sure some would say get rid of ALL the younger growth, but I would proceed much more cautiously. I would clear out the center completely, but leave 5 to 10 feet of SOME of the outer growth intact. I would pick those branches on the outside rim of the tree that are not completely vertical to keep. I would remove the others, but over a period of three years, and not a single season, as we are talking major reductions here. I have attached a crude picture of what the tree would look like after I got through with it (after all the wood is removed).

Others will have different opinions and I would like to hear them, as I am not a professional but a reasonably experienced amateur. All my apple trees are in the "central leader" style of pruning. I have plums, peaches, and cherries pruned as "open vases" but have certainly never dealt with a tree as over grown as this.

Please take a look at http://www.oldhousejournal.com/invigorating_old_apple_trees/magazine/1516
    which discusses "renovating" an open vase apple tree.

Attached Files:

3. Gardenlover

Gardenlover Active Member

You need to open that tree up for some light to penetrate the interior...
    I would leave 3 strong arms...at least 30 cm's apart.

4. Blue Fox

Blue Fox Member

That will take at least three years to get that tree back in shape, but don't rush it, as it will just encourage more of the upright water sprouts to form. Make sure you use really sharp tools too, and make the cut at the collar of each branch.

5. All Thumbs

All Thumbs Member

Thank you all very much. Looks like I have my work cut out for me! (In a manner of speaking)