Pruning and winter care

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by dasha, Sep 13, 2008.

1. dasha

dasha Active Member

Hi everyone and thank you so much to those who have helped me so much already. I have only been here a week. I have a question. I have this bush and I don't know the correct spelling but I think it is a Wegeila, or Wegelia! I have one in my back yard that has had a lot of leaves dying and at the same time blooming?! Is that because it is the end of summer?(we have had some really hot humid weather until this past week. What do I do?...cut it back now or wait til it gets cold and cover it? The leaves are dark green , the flowers are 2 shades of pink and it looks like it is on its way out! I have another one which is much taller and grew a lot this summer until 3 weeks ago when a lot of the leaves got brown. I cut the bad branches off and new growth is happening as well as a lot of leaves still turning brown. It has the leaves with a white border or trim. How do I prepare it for winter and when?

2. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

prune right after flowering. They respond well to being cut back hard (cut one stem in three) to the ground to encourage new shoots and prevent woodiness. I am not sure what you mean by "cover it". They bloom on previous year's growth.

3. dasha

dasha Active Member

Hi. What I mean by covering it is protecting it in winter the same way as I would a rose. Or do I need to protect it at all? As for the tall Wegelia, it is more like a tree than a shrub. It is about 3½ feet tall. How far do I cut it back? It has new leaves growing at the bottom where I cut it back the last time. Thank you for the information

4. levilyla

levilyla Active Member

3 1/2 feet tall is not that tall for a shrub....I would wait until next spring to do anything. I do not believe you have to "cover" it as with roses but I am in Baltimore (zone 7) >> maybe someone else will know about your area. The new green leaves at the bottom are typical of what will happen when you cut it back.....it will resprout very nicely.