propogating Clematis and Shiro Bana Akebia

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by madhatter, May 2, 2008.

1. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

I am amateur at propogation and usually just buy and plant.
    However, I am interested in taking cuttings from some of my favourite vines: Persian Ivy, Shiro Bana Akebia, Evergreen Clematis and regular clematis plants and my evergreen jasmine. How do I take a cutting and how should I treat it to get it to root? How long should I wait before planting in soil?
    Thanks in advance.
    Steph.

2. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Clematis vines can be started from seeds, but the seeds need to be stratified for two or more months before planting. Because the large flowering varieties do not come true from seeds, they are usually propagated from softwood cuttings taken in spring. These root well under mist if rooting compounds are used. Cuttings of partially matured new growth, taken after blooming, can also be used. They may need additional light and heat to develop a good root system before winter and if root growth has been light may also require the protection of a cold frame the first year. Clematis can also be started from leaf cuttings, which root very easily. Lastly, large rooted plants can be dug up and separated in the spring. Good luck - Millet

3. madhatter

madhatter Active Member