Propagation: Propagationm of French Tarragon

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by DonDuMont, Mar 20, 2015.

1. DonDuMont

DonDuMont New Member

I really enjoy cooking and using many fresh herbs. Every year I have the same question, "Where can I find French Tarragon plants?" I think I have been rooked by an advertisement for French Tarragon seeds which I ordered, but now I understand that French Tarragon cannot be grown from seed. Is this true or is there a means by which one might be successful with seeds? I am open to any suggestions someone might have.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I haven't looked lately, but you should be able to buy French Tarragon plants at any garden centre. I suspect that Cedar Rim Nursery in Langley will have them by now. I've also heard that seeds are not available and have never seen them in any of the seed catalogs that I peruse.

3. DonDuMont

DonDuMont New Member

Thank you for your information. I did receive what the seller identified as French Tarragon seeds (Artemisia Dracunculus), but I really don't know what they are. I will look in at the Langley firm you mentioned. Thanks again.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

According to Wikipedia, French tarragon "is never grown from seed as the flowers are sterile".