Propagation of Acer diabolicum

Discussion in 'Maples' started by sarahatbernheim, Sep 8, 2008.

1. sarahatbernheim

sarahatbernheim Active Member Maple Society

Anyone know a good, successful way of propagating Acer diabolicum?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ask Satan?? ;-)

Should be about the same as any other temperate maple. If the seed is from a lone cultivated tree, you are unlikely to get many (if any) viable seeds, and any that do grow might prove to be hybrids.

3. sarahatbernheim

We do have both sexes so the seeds should be viable. Should I collect the samaras straight off the tree while the nutlet is still green?

4. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

is very hard ;informations in book "the maple of the word" are negative for propagate by seeds because this species is deoecios,graft is difficult...is one cause of the name
    "Diabolicum" i have one in my garden,for the moment not seed avaible.....
    yatta!! yattacer!!is my 1000 post!!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  5. kaspian

kaspian Active Member 10 Years

Congratulations!

Think of all the time you have wasted -- I mean SPENT -- here.

6. alex66

oohhh for me is a very good time!
    ciao

Soumil Yarlagadda likes this.
  7. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

Well done Alex :)

8. sarahatbernheim

Does anyone know of any nurseries that carry Acer diabolicum? Preferably nurseries here in the US.

9. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Yes, I would love to have one as well, if anyone knows of a source...

10. alex66

11. alex66

however my source is Adeline (for link see in :maples resource in the web)but unfortunately for you is in France...

12. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

But Alex, has Adeline actually shipped you a diabolicum? They told me that although it was in the catalog they didn't actually have it. (Like many other species, as it happens.)

I wanted to make sure I really understood you, since of course diabolicum is one of the fetish trees for any serious collector! I have one on order from Esveld, may receive this next month, but you know how these things are. (My sinopurpurescens blooms very beautifully even though it's tiny, I believe male diabolicums have pretty much the same flowers.)

Just interested, I'm actually putting together an order for Adeline, I'd be delighted if they can actually supply this tree. I'm not really trying for maples (except maybe opalus) but I need a couple of liquidambars and poplars for a wet area. Adeline holds the national collection for liquidambars, which are looking so beautiful this fall I'm inclined to plant many... ;)

-E

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  13. Kaitain4

I checked out the source for A. diabolicum - Wheeler's Nursery - and they evidently must be out of business. Their web site is a year and a half out of date, their phone is disconnected, and they did not respond to my e-mail.

Any other suggestions??

14. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Not listed currently but was stocked by forestfarm several years ago. Probably means they found a wholesale source for it somewhere. They have also grown some of their own stock in the past, so it's possible they bought seeds of this maple and started their own plants.

It's the oni-momiji (devil maple) because of the "wild and violent appearance of the leaves". The flowers are the main feature, the rest of the plant not particularly attractive. A. diabolicum purpurascens has reddish or purplish parts, making it more appealing.

15. Kaitain4

Thanks for the tip, Ron. However...

According to "Maples of the World", the name derives from "two hornlike, persistent styles attached to the inner sides of the nutlets between the wings, reminiscient of the horns of a devil, and the stinging hairs, equally on the samaras and nutlets".

16. alex66

@emery today i check my acer diabolicum with book write by van Gelderen and co.the leaves in photo are identical to my acer ,i received this maple 10 month's ago......
    however i not post pics in maple gallery if i'm not sure 100%......

17. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

It is from Japan, where the name "oni-momiji" means devilish maple. It was so called because of its "wild and violent appearance of the leaves." Westerners, unaware of the reasons behind the name diabolicum, imagined it was derived from the "stinging" bristles on the seeds and/or the two tiny hornlike styles (like devil's horns) on them.

http://www.arthurleej.com/a-risingmaples.html

18. Kaitain4

Hmmm. I think I would trust 'Maples of the World' over Jacobson. Personal choice...

19. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Alex, I misunderstood, so stuck my foot in it. My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that M. Adeline had shipped you a maple that wasn't true to name. I'm just disappointed in them because they told me they had stopped doing this (and other) maples and would no longer stock them, in spite of their inclusion in the catalog. So I never asked again, but I certainly will do so now.

As for the source of the name diabolicum, I have always heard it was because of the horns on the samaras, this is the first time I've heard of "devilish leaves", I've seen many pictures of the leaves they don't look devilish to me! ;)

With no offense intended to Jacobson, the web is full of citations, some are better than others, and we know full well that folks from the arboretums (like nurserymen) don't always get it right.