Propagating windmill palms

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Unregistered, Mar 21, 2004.

1. I have a windmill palm. It, of course, blooms every year. Can I propogate from the blooms it generates each spring? It has numerous white seed pod blooms.

Thank you,

Jack

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2004
  2. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

Windmill Palm

Trachycarpus fortunei needs a female and male to produce fertile seeds. The seed when ready, usually around Jan or Feb, looks like a blue/black kidney bean. If you live in Vancouver, take a drive to beach ave and take a look at the palms around there. You will notice many seeds are fully ripe on the palms now.
    I have great success with germination using the baggie method. 50% peat moss and 50% perlite. Wet the mixture but not to the point you can squeeze water out of it. Put in a ziploc bag with numerous seeds and put in a dark area of the house that is at least 18C. You should see the seeds germinate in a month or so.

3. Palm Nut

Palm Nut Active Member 10 Years

Wes, I'm still waiting for my seeds to germinate.. from those very trees I planted Feb 12 & 14th.

4. Wes North Van

Wes North Van Active Member 10 Years

Kyle

I have the seeds in two different types of germination. The ones planted in soil in an ice cream pail have not poked through yet, however the ones in the ziploc bag have roots about an inch long but no fronds yet.
    Be patient, they will come.

5. strongbad

strongbad Member

seed help

Im curious are the seeds no good until jan feb or can you germinate them earlier.I have a branch of those ripen ones.are they still good,do i wait till they dry.or do i not take them off the plant.?