Propagating orchid from cutting

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by DHIRAJLALMISTRY, Jul 11, 2009.

1. DHIRAJLALMISTRY

DHIRAJLALMISTRY Member

An orchid flower given to me as a birthday present, when it was dry and nearly dead, I cut the dry bits off and put the still alive two leafs in a small bowl full of water. Several weeks later it has has started to grow three different bits below the leafs (looks like steam).

I have very little knowledge of growing flowers of any kind, although I grow some vegetables with some success (again just growing by experience without any technical knolwdge). Could some one please advice how can I grow this lilly? what sort of compost I need, and will it survive is Englands unpredictable weather if kept in side a home ?

2. Greerish

Greerish Active Member

I could give you better information if you could give a name or a picture, but i suggest putting the piece you have in a pot of damp sphagnum moss for now.

3. mctc

mctc Member

Yeah photo please. good luck.

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I agree that more information is necessary. A photo would help a lot. No orchids that I know of can be grown from a cutting, only by division or by seed or by cloning. What kind of orchid is this? It's possible you have a Phalaenopsis, and what you have done is taken a keiki off of the flower stalk, and you are now growing a clone of the original plant. If so, way to go!

5. DHIRAJLALMISTRY

DHIRAJLALMISTRY Member

Hi Greerish,

I do not know the name of the orchid, I presume it was grown commecially.

Folllowed your advice and also checked on the internet for the medium to propage the orchid cutting. I took some rockwool from the loaft insulation and add to it some bits of polystyrene in a traslution pot and some water(away from direct sunlight but near a window) put the cutting on it and coved it with a large plastic bottle for humidity. Result is I have now new leaf growing in the middle, please see the attached photo.

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. DHIRAJLALMISTRY

DHIRAJLALMISTRY Member

Hi Photo attached.

Attached Files:

7. DHIRAJLALMISTRY

DHIRAJLALMISTRY Member

Hi, Sorry I am not sure what kind it is, but it must be one of the commecially grown type, sometimes placed on table for decoration at receptions etc.
    As you guessed I cut the flower off the stem as it was dead, put the remaining stem in a glass of water but it all died back only two leaves remained and about 2 centimeter of the stalk was still green, I put this in bowl for a few weeks and it started to grow three thick roots, I guess this is a clon. Please see the attached photo, thanks.

Attached Files:

8. arcticshaun

arcticshaun Active Member

It certainly looks like a healthy Phalaenopsis baby (also called a keiki). Commonly grown as a houseplant they like high humidity, damp but not sodden growth media and bright indirect light.

So far so good
    Shaun

9. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Don't put your Phalaenopsis in direct light. An east window is good. - Millet (1,263-)

10. DHIRAJLALMISTRY

DHIRAJLALMISTRY Member

Thanks Millet, When I re Pot the plant I will try to send more photos.