propagating Christmas Cactus

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by MickiS, Nov 27, 2008.

1. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

I would appreciate any help I can get to successfully propagate my Christmas Cactus.
    MickiS

2. smivies

smivies Active Member

Take a cutting with 5 to 6 segments and stick it (~2 segments) in some moist (not wet) potting soil....should root no problem

3. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Thank you for your response. When I tried that in the past the segment just shriveled up. Do you think the problem may have been that I let it get dry? I have tried this a couple of times. Is one season better than another for trying this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  4. JanR

JanR Active Member

I have done it this way in the past, but the pieces were only about 3 sections long and I just stuck them in the soil, but only about 1/2 a section deep. They all rooted just fine. I recall reading after the fact that you should let the rooting end dry for a couple of days, before you planted it. I don't think that it is necessary, since it worked without it.

Good luck!

5. bob 2

bob 2 Active Member

Use perlite for that type of cutting and put a cover over it during the day to up the humidity. As said above its good practice to let the cuts dry over before sticking them into your medium.

Bob

6. MickiS

MickiS Active Member

Thank you I will try both methods..drying and planting right away. Hopefully all will root. I will let you know. MickiS

7. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

MickiS,
    I have grown and propigated several kinds of Thanksgiving, C-mas and Easter cactus, (Common names). (They seems to have settled on SCHLUMBERGERA as the approved proper name.) So far all have responded well to just pinching off a stem that has four or five leaves/segments and sticking it in a good potting soil, keep moist - not soggy. Check along the segment/stems and sometimes you can see roots forming at the junctions. That's a good segment to try repotting if you stick the air root parts in the soil. Sometimes I put the pot in a plastic bag from the grocery store and loosly secure the top, open enough to allow some air in
    I'm in Anacortes, WA so not that different a climate. Send a private note if you want more info.
    Barbara Lloyd

8. pavol122

pavol122 Member

I had best results in propagating christmas cactus when I pinched 5 sections of it and submerged first 2 sections into vase filled with tap water. Usually, roots strike after 1-2 weeks or so. After 4-5 weeks when roots are nicely developed I plant it into pot or else roots might start rotting in water.

These cuttings are 2 weeks old. All 3 of them have roots now.

Attached Files: