Propagating Azaleas and many more.

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by azaleafan, Apr 27, 2006.

1. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

As I mentioned in my other two posts, I am planning to propagat Azaleas and Clematis for a plant sale. I am planning to take cuttings to do so. I also want to propagate Rose, Carolina Allspice, Spirea, Gardenia, Hibiscus, and Lilac all using cuttings. The problem is, I have bad luck taking cuttings from woody plants and getting them to grow. Can you tell me the secret i getting them to grow before I actually take the cuttings? I would really appreciate any help you can give me.

2. oscar

oscar Active Member

Make sure none of the varieties are protected by plant breeders rights (or equivalent US breeder protection)

3. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

How do you go about doing that? Plus would that be necessary if it's not a business thing? It's a just a plant sale where these different plant societies go and sell different types of plants like vegitables, flowers, and (flowering) trees that they have propagated or dug up for just this event.

4. oscar

oscar Active Member

http://www.pvr.govt.nz/

i did find this, looks like your plant swap/sale might be exempt, a quick Email to their office would clarify. (thats if you were to use any plants protected)

Limits or exceptions to rights of a grant-holder
    Other persons are free to:

grow or use a protected variety for non-commercial purposes,
    use the plants or parts of the protected variety for human consumption or other non-propagating purposes, or
    use a protected variety for the purpose of plant breeding (although the repeated use of a protected variety for the commercial production of F1 hybrid seed is not permitted without the authority of the holder of the Rights).

5. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

Thanks for the information. I'll keep that in mind.

6. oscar

oscar Active Member

ok for the cuttings start with easy plants (unless you have an automated misting system and or a heated propagating case) Spirea should root easily 3-4" cuttings inserted into peat and sand mix 50:50 (you could use peat and perlite also 50:50)
    The clematis and carolina allspice, again should be easy, forget about gardenia, hibiscus and lilac.........easy plants are lonicera, choisya, aucuba, buddleja, buxus, caryopteris, and many more.

7. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

That can't be all the help you can give me. Isn't there anything else you think I should know?

Why do you say forget the gardenia, hibiscus and lilac?

8. peachy

peachy Member

i have some azaleas and rodo that i would like to propagate also. i just dnt know how to do it. just cut a part and plant on that 50/50 mixture?

9. oscar

oscar Active Member

10. Dorothy Smith

Dorothy Smith Member

I have a beautiful rhodo that must be at least 20 years old. I would like to replicate it for the son of the previous owners (since passed on) who is building a home in Bamfield
    They appear to do well there but I don't know how to perform the procedure. Can anyone help me??

11. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

Hey Dorothy Smith, how are you wanting to replace it? Are you wanting to grow a new on from cutting or replace it all to gether?

12. Dorothy Smith

Dorothy Smith Member

Thank you for your prompt response. I want to keep this lovely plant here in Langley but propogate it for my friend to take to Bamfield. Preferably many plants.
    Any suggestions?

Dorothy

13. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

Well, I haven't read the entire link Oscar provided but I was planning on trying the different types of techniques listed in the artical to see which wooks best for me. I'm going to try half with and without rooting harmones. All I can suggest is to try each technique and see which works best for you. You can also do air layering and ground layering on them. I find these to work better.

The easiest way to ground layer a plant is to find a branch on it that bends easily and pin it to the ground covering the branch with dirt where you pinned it.

Here's a link for air layering:
    http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATLayering.html

14. Dorothy Smith

Dorothy Smith Member

Thank you very much for your referral. I'll try several ways and see what works.
    Dorothy

15. azaleafan

azaleafan Active Member

Not a problem and good luck propagating.

16. Lindie

Lindie Member

I'm certainly no expert on propagation, but I thought maybe I can be of help with regard to Lilacs. My lilac tree always has new little shoots growing nearby. I sometimes pull a shoot up and cut it off as close to the lilac tree as possible. I then just stick it in the ground and keep it watered well and usually I have luck and a new tree. Just be careful yanking the thing out of the ground, I've gone flying when it has come loose. Luckily no one was around to see me take a flop. Good luck.

17. Dorothy Smith

Dorothy Smith Member

Thank you for your reply. I have received a baby lilac. from a friend who did it just that way. I am more specifically interested in propogating Rhodos. Do you have any info regarding them??

Thank you
    Dorothy

18. Lindie

Lindie Member

My husband just helped me make a small propagation system in a fishtank. I read about it on somebody's website. I haven't tried it yet, but you should be able to do rhodos in it. I can give you the website, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that. I'm new here and don't know the rules.

19. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lindie, it should be fine.

20. Lindie

Lindie Member

The person's email that can give you the information on the propagation system for rhodos and others is mike@shedhouse.com.

21. Barry B

Barry B Member

I find it as easy to do Gardenia as Azalea.

Normally semi hardwood cuttings with hormone powder does well. moist propagation medium, covered by plastic at night. Open during the day. Propagation bed in deep shade. I have 80% shade cloth. In summer, here between 20 and 28 degrees ambient during day, rooting takes bout 6 weeks