Pronouncing 'Remaily ' Grape

Discussion in 'Plants: Nomenclature and Taxonomy' started by Dee M., Feb 23, 2006.

1. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

Does anyone know what the correct pronunciation is for the grape variety 'Remaily'? Do you know of a good resource for the pronunciation of plant names in general? Thanks

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Hi, Dee. I tackled the problem of latin pronunciation recently and found this document. Following the rules within, starting on page 511, I think Remaily breaks down into Re-ma-i-ly and sounds like ree-may-EYE-lee. However as this is a name of a cultivar then I think normal English pronunciation applies in which case ree-MAY-lee seems reasonable.

Experts, is this right?

3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It's a cultivar name, so the Latin pronunciation does not apply (unless the name is a Latinized form...). You would pronounce this the same way you'd pronounce the last name of the person it was named after, the viticulturist George Remaily, who worked at the New York State Agricultural Experiment Station. I can't find an easy way to contact someone there though who would be able to quickly answer whether the name retains its seeming? French roots or whether it has been Anglicised.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Since it's after a person and not a region in France how that person pronounced it would be the "correct" pronunciation. Trying to consistently use foreign pronunciations of names can become silly, of course, especially if few around you will be at all familiar with such.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Words of wisdom from the referenced document regarding pronunciation of latin, the last sentence in particular.

6. Dee M.

Dee M. Active Member 10 Years

Thank you for all your help, this web site is a great resource. It is very helpful to get advice from experts so quickly and easily. I have been spreading the word about how useful this site is. I think we will go with the pronunciation ree-MAY-lee. I really like that last quote that Junglekeeper cited, the communication is the important part.