Problems with classic shrubs in this climate plus a rose tip

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by janetdoyle, Jun 29, 2012.

1. janetdoyle

janetdoyle Active Member 10 Years

Victoria [Saanich, actually, northeast of Victoria
    I had planted a year or two ago two slightly different viburnums [I think different varieties -- I don't remember which, but they had smaller, maple-leaf type leaves] and a snowmound spirea, the type which has irregular shape and blooms later than the lovely early bridalwreath spirea which does have truly arching delicate branches covered with white bloom.

Well, the viburnums turned to mere huge leafy creatures this year, with no blooms [never had bloomed], and the snowmound spirea has had off-white flowers which turn brown quickly and they don't grow in a nice pattern -- the new flowerless top branches sprout while the flowers are underway so the shrub has a very unkempt ugly irregular look.

I took all three out today, in a fit of annoyance. I have learned the hard way that some classic shrubs that do well in areas with longer, harder winters and hotter, sunnier summers do not like Vancouver Island!

Back to heathers, azaleas, rhododendrons, roses and weigela [which the deer tend to nip -- although the continuous use of Bobbex keeps them off mostly]. A worker around the strata property also told me that 2 Tablespoons of cider vinegar in 4 liters of water makes an excellent spray to keep black spot down on roses, and indeed it does.