Problematic Jade rooting

Discussion in 'Plant Propagation' started by MsOrdway, Sep 10, 2008.

1. MsOrdway

MsOrdway Member

Hi all,

I have a jade cutting from a 20 year old specimen, which I took at the node from the branch to the main trunk, about 5 months ago and it has barely rooted. The color and texture of the leaves seems healthy, except the ones towards the base are dropping off. I noticed that the most recent detatched leaf was a lighter shade of yellow/green with dark green collecting around the pores, appearing almost as spots. This occurence has not repeated in any of the other leafs at the present moment.

As far as how I tend for it: it is in Cactai mix soil that is of high drainage as well as a drainable pot that is not that large (about 3 inches in diameter). I let the soil get very dry (almost brick like actually) before watering again, and it receives moderate indirect sunlight.

I feel compelled to post that when I made the initial cut I used a root hormone on the stem and it stayed out for a few days before I put it in soil.

I repotted the Jade today and noticed about three, 1 inch long thin roots coming from the node above the initial cut and the main node had just calloused over. I was wondering it this was typical of Jades, since I have seen no growth in five months, and what I can do to help the plant root faster.

-Also, what pot size should the jade be potted in and will that have an effect on the reach of its roots?

Thank you all!

-A

2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

did you let it dry out before putting the root hormone on it? cuttings really need to be completely dry before planting - and then you let the cutting sit in dry soil for about a week and then water.

your soil mix is okay and the container. i think you're letting it get too dried out, though. the soil should never be rock hard. the smaller the container, the more frequently you need to water, too.

also, they do best in direct light, so, the lower light conditions may be slowing down the growth.

it does have roots going, so that's good!! i'd keep it in the three inch pot and just start watering it a bit more often - and make sure you give a good thorough watering each time...then water again when the soil is dry down an inch.

i'd also start moving it to a brighter spot. do that in increments so you don't end up with any burned leaves.

3. Millet

Millet Well-Known Member 10 Years

Jade cutting are among the easiest of plants to root, and start easily anytime from the ROSETTES at the TIP of the branch. Dry for one day after cutting, before inserting in the medium. For jade almost any quick draining medium will work. In my greenhouse, many rosettes self root themselves when they are broken off the plant and fall to the ground. Good luck. - Millet

4. MsOrdway

MsOrdway Member

Thank you all for your replies. I will try a different location and increasing my watering levels/frequency.

Joclyn- I did let it dry for about a day before putting the root hormone on it, and frankly can't recall if I had left it in dry soil to begin with. If I find that the jade continues to not root, do you suggest slicing at the next higher node from the stem and retrying the initial potting?

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

you said it does have a few roots - i think they'll start to develop more if you increase the frequency and thoroughness of the watering.

and the extra sunlight will also help it to get moving. even though we're going in to fall now, i find that all my jades put on a growth spurt around november/december, so you'll probably see something happening, too - especially after making those increases.

i wouldn't disturb it to check the roots until spring - unless it's obviously not doing anything and/or looks poorly. if that happens and you do unpot and find the roots haven't grown any more, then, yes, start over and cut off the end; dry it and repot it.