Problem with stratification

Discussion in 'Maples' started by webwolf, Jul 27, 2005.

1. webwolf

webwolf Active Member 10 Years

Hi,
    While I was on holiday I left my maple seeds in the fridge with spagnum moss in sandwich bags like every year to stratify. When I came back I noticed that my fridge played up and everything froze for about 5 weeks.Do I have any chance to still germinate those seeds?
    regards
    Wolfgang

2. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

I leave my seeds in the garage every year with temperatures down to 10 degrees or so (f), and have had consistently great results in the spring. I wouldn't worry.

3. webwolf

Hi,
    I took the seeds out of the fridge. So they are exposed to winter/spring (day 17° night 9°C). Or should I leave them in the fridge. Would they germinate now or do I have to add another six weeks in the fridge?
    I am a bit confused what is the best to do. Last year they started germinating about that time.
    Regards
    Wolfgang

4. jacquot

jacquot Active Member Maple Society 10 Years

Someone else might like to add to this, but I'd leave them in the fridge until you normally would have. Mine freeze solid, probably thaw somewhat then solid again in the winters we have on the east coast of the US. Last year was particularly cold. I've never gone the refrigerator route, but have had excellent results with this method, with germintion in mid to late spring. Your experience was less harsh than this. I wouldn't worry. The books say 90 days as I remember, correct? Mine are cold for that much or more.

5. webwolf

Hi Everyone,
    Just a follow up on my seed problem; Freezing the seeds did not make an impact on the germination , only delayed it. I left them 10 weeks in the fridge, now all of them are in sandwich bags and spagnum moss outsite waiting to germinate. One question to the experts: Do Trident maple seeds need a special treatment? I treated them the same way than the JM seeds and they germination rate may be only 10% of JM seeds.
    regards
    Wolfgang

6. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

Wolfgang--the info I've seen on trident maple indicates they may like to germinate very cool, probably right in the fridge. Maybe they are too warm and going into further dormancy...I would try sticking them back in the fridge and see if that does anything.

Supposedly 6-8 weeks for germination at 4C.

Glen