Problem with Evelyn?

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by Margaret, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Does my Evelyn rose have a problem?

I have attached photos of my Evelyn rose and would like feedback from anyone who can identify the brown areas at the base of the plants just above ground level and tell me if it is a problem. I did notice that as I moved the flower stem to take the photo the roots also moved. Do I need to plant it deeper? It is in a raised bed with very old established grape vines which I have to water frequently as it is sheltered by the upstairs balcony.
    I am particularly fond of this beautiful rose because not only does it look lovely but it has a super perfume and I would like to keep it healthy and happy. It has been in situ for about 3 years.
    Any help greatly appreciated.
    Margaret

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2006
  2. Helen Leung

Helen Leung Active Member 10 Years

It looks like it's dying. I can't be sure but I had some roses do that also and then the canes die completely. You might want to give it some fish and seaweed emulsion to the plant. Alfalfa meal tea is also really good too. It has hormone that helps with new growth. I hope that helps

3. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Helen. I am going to get some fish and seaweed emulsion and alfalfa meal today. The rest of the rose looks so healthy that I am going to try to nurse it along.
    Once more many thanks for the reply.
    Margaret