Pricing Araucaria araucana

Discussion in 'Araucariaceae' started by corazonflores, Mar 15, 2012.

1. corazonflores

corazonflores Member

Hi,

I have probably 10 planted on my property (my father loved them) I don't know to much about them since my father has passed I don't have him to give me all the information I need. I had someone come and offer to buy some of my trees which are probably 10-12 feet tall some 7-8 feet tall. I have no idea how to price them or find out so maybe somebody here might know a better estimate. They are probably over 10 years old.

2. Sea Witch

Sea Witch Active Member

I would look around at some of the nurseries and see what they charge. I'm on the Island, and I have found a big range of prices for similarly sized trees. I'm on Vancouver Island, and I've seen 3' ones for $40 and at another nursery 7' ones for $75.

Then I'd charge less because A) the person is going to have to dig it up--no easy job having just transplanted several 8-10' trees--and B) these trees are notorious for not liking to be moved, so the odds of the trees doing well in its new home are not great.

I hope this helps

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Look for wholesale listings and use that as your basis. As mentioned, the purchaser is probably intending to re-sell them at a profit. And even if they were buying them from a wholesale grower or broker they would be coming already out of the ground and prepared for transport, or the supplier would be digging them and wrapping or boxing them to order.

Probably not a big money-making opporunity for you, and you will have people coming on your place and digging them up, whatever incidental impacts that occur included. Will they be driving onto the place with a tree spade? Be sure to see what, if anything they are planning to do about the holes they will be making in your ground. And mindful of any underground utilities that may pass beneath or near the trees to be dug.

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Or keep them as a memorial to your father?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I see you are in Oregon. A few of the places that come up at the link below when it is searched for Araucaria may have pricing publicly displayed on the internet. Otherwise if there is a college within reasonable driving distance with a horticulture program the library there might have a file of nursery catalogs that includes wholesale ones.

http://www.nurseryguide.com/search.lasso