Preparing Perennials for Winter

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by New Gardener, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Hello,
    This is very great, helpful and informative forum. I am a new gardener and don't want to panic about preparing my perennials my garden for winter.

I would appreciate receiving any tips or comments about which fall chores should have high priority and which are optional. Do you also know when and which plants cut back?

My pererrials are listed as follows:

Vernonia crinita - Iron Weed
    Alstroemeria "Orange King"
    Geranium "Pink Spice"
    Miscarthus sinensis, Flower Wonder and Blueter Wonder
    Heuclera "Son of Freedom"
    Canna
    Asiatic Lily
    Oriental Lily
    Pieris Japonica "Flaming Silver"
    Polygorum "Black Dragon"

Thanks in advance...

2. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

How you deal with your plants during the winter very much depends on your climate as perennials differ in their tolerance of cold, snow etc.
    On the Sunshine Coast of BC I have roses blooming all year but in Ontario, where I moved from, I even sometimes doubted that I would survive!!
    Sure someone out there can give you more specific advice.
    Margaret

3. Diane W.

Diane W. Active Member

Most of your plants don't need pruning as such. I deadhead (cut off dead flowers).
    Some people cut back all dead stalks in the fall but, living in Ontario, I prefer to leave
    everything as it is as I think it gives some protection from the snow and ice. I just clean everything up in the Spring.
    As Margaret stated, it depends where you live. In B.C. where gardens usually don't get covered in snow, you might want to cut off all dead leaves and stalks so your garden will look tidyer. Even if you don't do anything, most perenials will come back and the old growth will just die away on its own during the winter.

4. Candy

Candy Active Member

I would try Google searches for each individual plant. According to my main gardening book, some perennials should be cut back in fall, some in spring...

5. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi New Gardener we really need to where you are.

Alot of B.C is more extereame than southern ontario or visa/versa for in between.

Regards Doug

6. Thank you everyone for your reply. I live in Kitsilano on the West Side of Vancouver.

Few more questions..
    When pruning, where do I cut my lilies? Below the undeveloped seed pod? How much?

May my cannas survive winter in ground or in pots in a sunny spot?

Thanks in advance...

7. growest

growest Active Member 10 Years

ngardener--A few specifics for Kitsilano area

Your cannas will most likely be fine in the ground, but not guaranteed. Mine have done fine in my sandy soil thru the last 2 winters, except for a highly variegated variety (Tropicana). The more "exotic" varieties can be more tender, but the common green and purple leaved cannas have been really quite hardy thru the normal winters we've had lately. If your plants are special, do lift and store the bulbs after the frost "burns" down the tops in Nov. or so, in some slightly moist peat or bark mulch, just above freezing, no higher than about 10C to keep them from growing until spring.

The alstroemeria dies down by itself, and the leaves turn to mush and rot away. I do nothing, you could carefully tidy up the dead leaves later in the winter. They are hardy here without any further protection.

Heucheras are evergreen/everpurple, I do nothing to mine. The old foliage may get a bit ugly and could be trimmed back in spring to allow new growth from the bases, up to you. They just keep getting bigger and more eyecatching as the years go by.

The pieris needs absolutely no care, being an evergreen woody shrub. You could "deadhead" or cut off the seed pods after flowering is finished in spring, gives the shrub more energy to grow. Otherwise just enjoy!

Glen

8. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

I was curious about the cannas. I have some and have access to a greenhouse. Are they perenials where they come from? A lot of people talk about letting them die back. Will they grow in a greenhouse over the winter?

9. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

10. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Thanks for your very helpful links. My giant canna has seeds and I discovered via the link that I can grow them, which sounds like lots of fun!

11. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Stoneangel, you are very welcome! Glad that was helpful and you've discovered a new way to grow them.

Newt