Prepare containers now for spring planting

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margot, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

I've just cut down all the tomatoes planted this year in big plastic containers on my deck. I'd like to amend the soil now to have the pots ready to plant again next spring. I'd protect them from the winter rains so nutrients don't wash away. Tomatoes growing in containers don't get enough nutrients from the soil anyway and I'd plan to fertilize them regularly when the time comes.

The advantage for me is that it would give me more time to carry soil down and up stairs from my driveway to the deck but I'd like to know if there are disadvantages I'm not aware of.

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    oh all of the coastal slope oceanview sundeck gardeners!
    me too in past lives

i start with lots of big plans

i have a few thoughts off the top

1, do not leave pots directly on your deck structure surface (I bought those expensive but sturdy wheel supports years ago - I will have to look up brand) --- pots placed directly and or rarely moved- shortly it's a perfect way to rot out the wood or whatever is under the popular vinyl sundeck material. I don't have direct experience with trex type materials but I would think it too can stain and ruin warranty.

2. make sure your deck can support a wet soggy heavy pot (or several)

3.shut off and drain deck hoses and irrigation // and plan for a better system next spring ;)

4. plant some swiss chard and viola tiny pansy in the sunny side of your planter sundeck for winter food (viola are edible decor too)

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    further - when you are out socially distance visiting on your drive / st ---- maybe someone has extra of these
    (link below)

i inherited some of these un-used a couple of seasons ago EarthBox® Gardening Systems: Container Planter Kits

and I don't follow many instructions - because i had paid zero for these great planters (esp the shape) I thought I will just experiment

i assembled as instructed

(wheels then rectangle planter pot then screen inside then I used nurseryland container soil with peat)

i just save rainwater and pour over the soil (I don't use the proprietary pipe to make it in to what I think the brand suggests as hydroponic

the size of the good seeds from Ladner - swiss chard is amazing and so fast

so if you find at garage sale or ... try them

4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

@Georgia Strait - thank you for your insights. I feel more confident preparing my containers now to be ready for next spring. I have a couple similar to EarthBox that I bought at Costco several years ago. They have a dark brown wicker look and were very expensive . . . now I know how to use them properly. :-)

Also, I appreciate your suggestion to plant Swiss chard which I would never have thought to do - and we love it!