Preferred fungicide

Discussion in 'Maples' started by kgeezy20, Dec 20, 2018.

1. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Hi all.

Whenever you cold stratify seeds, what is your preferred fugicide to mix in? Is hydrogen peroxide a viable option? I have some stronger stuff, but would rather not mess with it unless truly necessary.

Kyle

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Kyle,

I use a squirt of bordeaux mix (copper sulfate in suspension) in both the soak -- 24 hours -- and the bag of sand/peat.

I think hydrogen peroxide in s strong enough solution to kill fungus would potentially damage the seed.

cheers,

-E

kgeezy20 likes this.
  3. kgeezy20

kgeezy20 Active Member Maple Society

Thank Emery. I’m not certain where I can find that copper solution over here in the states, but I’m sure it’s available.

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

No problem. I think folks use Phyton27 but I believe it's pretty expensive. There's probably a cheaper solution available.

5. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

I dilute peroxide to 300-900 ppm for as a general purpose, broad spectrum, fungicide/antiseptic. This is essentially application strength ZeroTol which is sold for organic gardening. At this strength is is effective and doesn't seem to damage seed. In fact I spray it to take care of damping off fungus and on all my trees at the first sign of a possible fungus infection. Stronger solutions can be used as a root drench for root rot, but I'm pretty sure that nixes mico. As the more dilute foliar spray, I don't think it much of a threat to friendly stuff, but if one habitually oversprays it might be, IMHO.

6. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Some gardeners make their own Bordeaux mix according to recipes found on the web such as: Bordeaux Mixture--UC IPM I have no idea how much this would cost but would probably make far more than you need.