preemergence

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by busybea, May 10, 2007.

1. busybea

busybea Active Member

can i use in my perennial and veggie garden if yes where can i buy it.have zillions off dandillions i started pulling them but not much luck the roots keep breaking i know u have to get all the root.i have read some amazing how too's here.please need help with the above.thanks in advance sound like i'm begging i am.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

(removed duplicate thread)

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

you could consider Casoron (dichlobenil) as a pre-emergent but its very tough on annuals, perennials and bulbs also. mainly used near woody shrubs etc.

4. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

You would not want to use preemergence in or even too close to vegetables. The label on Casoron and Simizine products instructs that uses are for around woody stem plants. Although with some experience and if applied lightly near perennials and bulb beds, weed control can be obtained, but do not use near annuals.

There is a Devrinol product that comes as a wettable powder that is used in the nursery industry that can be applied right on top of soft stem plants such as annuals and perennials, but would not allow germination of vegetable seeds or any seed. And I would imagine it's not to be used on any food crop. This particular Devrinol product is fast leaching and is only recommended in container pots that will hold the herbicide from leaching too fast. In garden beds it likely would lose its effect in as little as a month.

My suggestion would be to spray the Dandilions with a 2,4-D product 2-3 weeks prior to planting. Round Up is not as effective on large broad leaf weeds.

Jim.

5. busybea

busybea Active Member

tks 4 the info jim