Predatory Mites

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Junglekeeper, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Can anyone share their experience using predatory mites to control spider mites in an enclosed environment such as in a small greenhouse? Do the predator and prey populations reach equilibrium so that they become self-sustaining or is it wishful thinking?

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

to my knowledge the cycle for predators is that you introduce the small amount of predators to the food source problem pest, the predators feed and reproduce, the second generation is a quantity that will significantly reduce the pest population possibly to extinction where it then dies back (the predator) to a population that is sustainable by the food source (unless that is gone). Evergro Westgro is a supplier locally for predators and they have good information available.

3. Junglekeeper

Hi, jimmyq. I've been doing some reading on usenet. Apparently, if the conditions are right the predators will wipe out the prey then die out from a lack of food. I guess they're too efficient for their own good. The Evergro website also listed a predatory ladybug which I was not aware of. Looks like I have to do more research on this.

4. extralucky7

extralucky7 Member

Do you know where i can get dome of these predators in B.C Canada

5. Junglekeeper

Back then when I made an inquiry with Westgro they directed me to order from local retail outlets. I won't list them since your location does not indicate which city you're in. Most, if not all, nurseries around Vancouver offer predators for sale. I ended up ordering from Koppert Biological Systems. They have a wide selection of predators, not just mites. I've heard that some online sites are supplied by them.