Powdery mildew on strawberry berries?

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Angela Christine, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Angela Christine

Angela Christine Member

I've got an odd white powder on my hanging strawberries. Powdery mildew is a problem here in Victoria every autumn, but not usually in the early summer heat, and it usually just affects the leaves. When I look closely I can find some powdery mildew on the leaves, but just a little. It mainly seems to be affecting the berries, and google didn't help me find anything about powdery mildew afflicting fruit itself.

Oddly, the worst affected berries are the ones hanging outside the pot, away from the humidity of the soil. The fruit seems a little shrunken, making the seeds protrude. The seeds can easily be rubbed right off. At first I thought the shrunken fruit might be a watering problem, but it only affects the areas that are affected by the white powder, the seeds look normal on unaffected parts of the berry. Is this garden variety powdery mildew, or something else?

What can I do about it? I have some Safer's 3 in 1 that I use for powdery mildew on my zucchini plants in the fall, is it safe to use this right on the berries? It contains Potassium salts of fatty acids 0.75%, and sulphur 0.4%.

Attached Files: