Powdery Mildew on my Europeana Rose

Discussion in 'Rosa (roses)' started by lily, Aug 25, 2003.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Oh no! Today I noticed some white powdery mildew on my Europeana rose bush, which I have planted in a large container on my balcony.
    I know that cold nights and warm days are one of the contributors to PM - that's exactly what our weather is like here for the past week.
    This is my first and only rose bush, I have no idea what to do about PM. I look closely at my rose bush everyday, so it's not severe yet and hopefully have caught it on time.
    Can someone please help me with any suggestions? Last week, I put some red lava rocks on top of the soil to use as a mulch/decoration. Could that be the problem? My soil has good aeration and good drainage.

I would also like to know if it is too late in the season to give my rose bush some plant food? If so, what is best to use please?

Thank you.

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

I wouldn't bother putting any fungicide on at this time of year, its getting late in the season so just leave it be. avoid overhead watering, snip a branch her or there as you dead head for good air flow. Fertilizing is ok this time of year but dont put time release stuff on it, use water soluble and you should be fine.

3. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Powdery Mildew

Thanks Jimmy,
    I did exactly that. Just picked off any leaves that were showing the mildew. I think I caught it on time. At least I don't see anymore now. Thanks again.

4. Europeana was one of the best bloomers in my garden, but I had to remove it because of severe mildew problems. You may want to try spraying a 10% milk solution on the leaves. Or just spraying the leaves with plain water to wash off the mildew may work for you. Good luck - it is a pretty rose.

5. Europeana Rose

Thank you for your reply. Well, I dont' see much PM now on the rose. Probably because I picked off most of the leaves that had it. I'm now noticing new shoots. My rose is still blossoming. Is that normal for the first day of fall?
    I would like to know when the best time would be to prune it. Should it be done in the fall or in the spring? How does one prune a rose? I have never done it before, like I said in my earlier post, this is my first rose bush. Any suggestions are most welcome. Thanks again for your help.

6. Prune back hard in the early spring as roses bloom on new growth. Use sulphur mixed lightly to water, spray weekly.

7. jazzymin

jazzymin Member

me too...

At least that's what I think it has...it's like this white coating that wipes off...does it spread if it is sprayed or it rains?