Rhododendrons: Potting a small Rhodedendron

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by armcheese, Mar 24, 2007.

1. armcheese

armcheese Member

I have a small Rhod in my backyard that I want to take with me when we move. I am thinking of digging it up and re-potting it into a container. I want to be sure that when I do re-pot this plant that I do not re-pot the pests with it- such as weevils. Is there any way for me to clean the roots ball and surrounding dirt when I bring it up from the soil as to ensure that there are no pests coming with it to its new home?

This plant is seven years old and not very big. It usually blooms in late March or April.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Susan

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Could wash the soil off of the rootball with a waterhose after soaking it in water for a while, 1/2 hour to a hour would likely help. Hopefully you would be able to see any root weevil grubs if present. Fall or late summer probably the best time to pot up as far as the plants recovery. Would just have to watch it more if you repot now, being it will flower and then put out new growth , so will need a little more care. You can deadhead the flowers and the new growth if necessary. Will recover best in the shade.

3. armcheese

armcheese Member

Thanks, I will think about what you have suggested. It's a beauitful little Rhod that has lovely green flowers, so I don't want to do anything that would hurt it.

Thanks!

4. Chris Klapwijk

Chris Klapwijk Active Member 10 Years

This suggestion is known to work:
    1) dig up your plant
    2) find a container large enough to hold the rootball
    3) place plant in container
    4) fill container with water, submersing the rootball
    5) allow to sit overnight, or any 8 to 12 hour period

Any bugs in the rootball will be killed, and it won't hurt your plant.