Potted Ginkgo on balcony for winter?

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by farcryjj, Nov 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. farcryjj

farcryjj New Member

Hi!
    I just bought a Ginkgo Biloba Bonsai size tree in a 8" container without any leaves (in the winter rest). Since I'm living in a condo building, the only cold place for it to rest for the winter is on my balcony. However, the winter in Montreal can be really cold (to -20C) and my balcony will receive lots of snow. My questions are the following:
    1. What should I do to protect it if I leave it on the balcony?
    2. Is it the cold that will hurt the plant, or the freezing and thawing that will hurt the plant?
    3. Does it really need a long winter rest, or can I bring it back inside and let it grow in December before it is -10C cold?
    Thank you very much!!

Jane

2. Michigander

Michigander Active Member

It's outdoors only. If you put it on the balcony, it would be easier to just throw it away now. Do you have a storage area in the basement? Set it on the floor away from light (windows) and water it once a month. It will show buds sooner or later in spring (they are late leafing out). Put it on the balcony when night-time temps are +freezing. If you could bury the pot behind some shrubs, that would be better. Look around...