Pots with no drainage holes???

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by sungodess134, Sep 11, 2008.

1. sungodess134

sungodess134 Active Member

So I bought some cool pots without realizing they have no drainage holes. Can anyone tell me what I could plant in them, everything I've tried so far has died? thanks

2. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

maybe you could make drainage holes? What are they made of?

3. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

Use a plastic pot with drainage holes inside them, and empty out excess water after twenty minutes or so.

4. sungodess134

no way to make drainage holes they are ?plaster?, anyway they would shatter if I tried.

5. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

i use plastic pots that do have drainage holes for potting the plants and then i put those pots in nice decorative containers (to hide the plastic). after you water and the excess drains off, you just need to remember to remove it.

6. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Try to find out what the pots are made out of. There are special drill bits for material such as ceramic.

A layer of brick underneath the plastic pot would save the trouble of having to remove the water afterwards but you risk having it turn into a breeding ground for mosquitoes.

7. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

I have several nice pots that don't have drainage holes (mostly ceramic) I do the same thing as Jocelyn. I keep them in plastic pots that already have the holes and simply place the whole thing inside my nice pot. Not only does it hide the ugly plastic but you can change out your plants to different pots any time you like.

8. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yup, a brick, or even a bunch of stones, works to allow the water to drain off and not leave the container sitting in water. works well for plants that need some extra humidity...does not work well for plants that need dry conditions (like cacti).

9. nic

nic Active Member 10 Years

How big are these pots? Outdoor size or indoor size?
    Don't mosquitos need surface water to breed and wouldn't find water at the bottom of a pot like that? I've only found larvae in open standing water, say in a bucket left for long enough(immediately tipped over),but as mosquitos aren't the huge health hazard here that they are elsewhere, I don't know the essentials for dealing with them. I'm sure Junglekeeper's right, I'm just surprised that water under a plastic pot in a cachepot would be considered a mosquito sanctuary. Any further information would be welcome, in case the ague returns to British shores(since the cure was,apparently, eating live spiders,wrapped in gingerbread).

10. sungodess134

I live in S. Fla the less mosquitos I have around me the better, they are all great suggestions. I think the easiest would be to just place plastic pots inside. They are two small indoor pots, that I use out on my back patio. They are ceramic, thanks by the way, I was searching for that word. :)

11. sir grow a lot

sir grow a lot Member

if you cannot add holes then i would recommend using a three quarters of an inch layer on the bottom of your pot of perlite. and also add ample amounts of perlite to your soil.

good luck

12. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Seems that small masonary drill bits should be able to make a few small drain holes in those.

Might be looking at a $4 bit. But many drill bit sets already include about 4 sizes.