Potager in North Van?

Discussion in 'Garden Design and Plant Suggestions' started by stefanie, Jul 8, 2008.

1. stefanie

stefanie Member

Hi;

I live in North Vancouver and am contemplating planting a potager style French kitchen garden to plant year-round. Has anyone out there planted one? Any recommendations for varieties of vegetables that work well here? Thanks!

2. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Possibilities are endless, but realize that with our short growing season, it may already be too late for some commonly grown crops. This is a project that I too have been considering for some time, so if anyone has pictures to post it would be appreciated. BTW, Garden Web has a forum dedicated to this subject that may be of interest:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/potager/

3. stefanie

stefanie Member

Thanks, I will definitely check out the link. I am planning on prepping the site at the end of this summer and basically puttering around over the winter to get it ready for an early spring planting. Have you done any fall/winter planting? that seems to be what is the most challenging to me, as we have intense rains. FYI, I have been reading "In The French Kitchen garden" which is a very simplified, but useful how-to on getting started. It is written by Georgeanne Brennan.