pot size/tree

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by madhatter, Apr 12, 2009.

1. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

Anyone know the ratio of mature tree size vs container size?

I am in Zone 7 in Abbotsford BC Canada, (similar to Seattle climate). I want to plant a medium to large hardy tree that has a tall, wide canopy when it matures (approx. 30+ ft tall and at least 20ft+ wide) and preferably has attractive foilage or blooms at some point in the year, such as a maple or flowering cherry). I'd like a fast grower. I want to put it in a container but don't know what size I need. I am looing for ideas. The container is going to be 14" wide, 24" high and 4 ft long and will be bottomless with roots being able to escape through the bottom into the soil beneath which is part tp soil and then clay soil.
    I know the size of the pot/container will be relative to the tree I choose but does anyone have a formula or idea of what size of maturity type of tree etc I can have in a container like this? What hardiness should I be looking at, too, since the young roots in the early years will be above ground in the container before excaping into the landscape?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

15'-35' = a small tree. However, your container is much too small even for a tree that size. For the full size of a small tree to be accommodated a planter or raised bed many times larger than your planter box is needed.

3. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

Hello Rob,
    Can you be more specific about what would be required, why and if having an open bottom makes a difference, if you know. Thanks Rob
    S.

4. MannieBoo

MannieBoo Active Member

I'm little confused has to why you would want to put a tree that is going to grow that large into a pot/planter box. My choice of tree would be a Catalpa tree, some call it a Indian Bean tree, blooms in summerwith fragrant orchid like flowers, that mature once pollinated into long beans about 12" long, leaves are large and tree grows 35-40ft if not pruned in spring. Privides a beautiful Umbrella like canopy oncein full foliage. These trees are fast growing, up to 1-2 ft per year.

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Water well for the first year. After that, the roots will be out of the bottom of the container and into the native soil. Thereafter, the size of the tree is limited only by the trunk diameter pushing against the container. Likely that after a few years, a tree with any vigour at all would just split the container to pieces.

6. madhatter

madhatter Active Member

Hello the reason I have to put the tree in a pot to get started is because part of its access to the ground is covered by a patio cement pad and I wanted to give it a chance to root and then find its way through to the bottom corners where it can access the ground. I know it sounds a bit odd. :)