Post Hurricanes Schizo Orange Tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by MNTye, Feb 3, 2007.

1. MNTye

MNTye Member

My parents have had the same orange tree in their Sebastian, Florida backyard for several years. Each season it would produce prolific quantities of extremely juicy, extremely sweet oranges. (We believe there is an underground water source due to the greenness of an adjacent area of grass.) After two years of hurricanes, the following seasons have brought fewer quantities and first from one part of the tree, then from another part, then another, instead of from the whole tree at once. Also the orange peels are bumpier than before. There are two main trunks coming out of the ground which each having a young shoot of about 12 inches in length a few feet off the ground. We are considering cutting it down to just above each young shoot. Is this wise? If so, what (if anything) should be put on the cut-off trunks? Is there anything else we should do? Thanks!
    Mike

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

It is possible that your tree has picked up a disease due to damage from the hurricane. More information would be needed to diagnose the problem, but it is possible that cutting off the diseased parts may save the tree.

Is there any chance you can post some pics-- some with close-up of leaves and the trunk of the tree near the ground.

Skeet

3. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

Sounds like the rootstock is taking over. You need to cut off any new growth you see coming from below the graft line.

4. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Lazz-- I don't think that is rootstock--if I understand correctly the shoots are originating a foot or 2 above the ground--that should be above the graft.

Skeet

5. MNTye

MNTye Member

I appreciate the interest however this was not a graft as far as we know. The tree was planted whole from a local garden center. Attached are some photos I took of the trunk, both young shoots, and various leaves. Quality is poor due to several consecutive gloomy, rainy days here in the "Sunshine State". Sorry.

Attached Files:

6. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I know what you mean about the dreary days-- we have had that up here in Pensacola.

I do have one suggestion-- citrus trees do better with bare soil around the base of the tree so that they do not have to compete with grass and weeds. Don't hoe around the tree --citrus have shallow roots that will get damaged. You can use a herbicide or just pull-up the grass that is within a 2 feet of the trunk. If you are not already fertilizing the tree you should do that too -- every 2 months if you are in a frost free area. Use a fertilizer that has trace minerals or get a trace mineral supplement.

When you get some better light, it would help to see some pics of the limbs that are dying. If you can cure the problem there may be no need to cut the tree back. I can also tell you that those shoots are not rootstock, so if you do cut it off above there the tree will come back as the same type orange, however, I am not sure that the ring I see around the trunk is not a graft line--so anything that come from below that may not be the same.

Skeet

7. MNTye

MNTye Member

Sorry for the delay in posting new photos. (There was a death in my family.) Here are some new photos.
    Mike

Attached Files:

8. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I do think your tree was a grafted tree-- that ring near the base looks like the old graft joint-- that just means that the rootstock is different from the top which may offer some advantages of disease resistance and growth depending on the type of rootstock.

The tree does look like it could use some fertilizer. I do not see serious signs of deficiency in the leaves, but they are not the healthy dark green they should be. Like I mentioned before it would also help to kill or pull the grass from around the trunk for a distance of 2-3 ft from the trunk at least.

The moss (actually lichens) on the trunk are not causing any harm.

I do not see anything that would make me want to cut the top of the tree off, although I have not seen much of the top. If there are any dead limbs, they should be pruned to just above the part that is live.

Skeet

9. MNTye

MNTye Member

Skeet,
    We'll try all of your suggestions. What fertilizer would you recommend? Thanks!
    Mike

10. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Since you are in Florida, you should be able to find a fertilizer formulated for citrus. I get one for citrus from Lowe's here in Pensacola. I think the NPK ratio of the one I get is 10-4-6. If the fertilizer does not have trace minerals (such as Cu, Zn, Fe, B, Mn, Mg-- mine doesn't) it would be good to get either a trace mineral foliar spray or a soluble trace element supplement in powder form that you can sprinkle in the ground around the tree.

11. Tsmith2579

Tsmith2579 Member

Contact your University of Florida Cooperative Extension agent. Since Indian River county is a center of the citrus industry, I'm sure there is an agent. His services are free. His office may be in Vero Beach, the county seat. He should be able to help you with your citrus questions and problems.