Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    Now don't call me crazy or stupid. But isn't there a need for a rooster for hens to lay eggs:-) I am gay you know I am not into chicks :-) hahaah...

2. Liz

Liz Well-Known Member 10 Years

No Vic the girls don't need the men. ;)

Can you imagine the battery operations with roosters. Only if you wan't to breed your own are they still necissary.

Liz

3. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Ha HA Liz,
    Nice try!
    Have you never said, having had your 'chooks', 'I hear an egg!' ? I used to listen for the Banties who used to escape to brood about the place as the other hens would find the nest and help out by laying an egg in a broody's nest, something I wanted to find and avoid too many little chicks. They do sing out when they lay an egg don't they?
    The coyotes got so bold (in Delta BC) that the Banties refused to coop and went up into the fir trees by the house to roost where they felt safer. Our family got used to sleeping thru the crowing that started any time after 1 am and forgot how awkward it was for visitors til they mentioned it in the morning.
    Yes, there's a chicken man promoting the idea on alt radio. Too dangerous in a tiny city garden, even without considering the racoon that made off with a neighbour's rabbit recently. Too dangerous for the plants which chickens can uproot in the flap of a wing and scratch of a claw.
    Sheesh, as I leave a leafy duff on the soil surface as a mulch now, I find the sparrows' ways to be very reminiscent of the chickens' habit of scratching in the dirt and having dust baths in the loose soil. They share the same postures and motions, birds all. I had a rooster die during an eclipse of the sun once.........Thks for bringing back the memories!
    D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  4. Liz

Banties are very much more like a wild bird. Yes they do get clucky at the drop of a hat and are inconsistant egg layers. However you still don't need the rooster to get them to go broody. When they do that you put them in a cool to cold cage for a day or so and that usually fixes it. Nothing like a cold derrier.

Liz

5. vicarious1

Great story Dana :-) I should make a painting with the chicks in the tree :-)
    would make a centerfold for the Chicken playboy magazine :-) haha
    Actually I have a German friend who raises some special breed chicken about 400km from Sydney in OZ he has home built incubators etc.. LIZ if you want to get in touch Juergen is very nice person from Hamburg 30+ years in OZ he is also a renown OIL LAP technologies and has a website about antique oil lamps etc.. I was so surprised how many people still use OIL lamps worldwide his USA pattern company are world leaders .

PS: What's a BANTY a type of chicken ?

6. Liz

Bantam. We have a habit of using the diminutive. eg barby = BBQ maggi = magpie (bird) Kiddy = kid etc.
    The do this in Schweizer Deutsch as well not sure if it happens in straight German

Liz

7. Liz

I have just received some photos from my young neighbour re the grass down the bottom of the paddock. The decision has been made to lock the sheep and goats down the bottom so we don't get high growth for summer. Thought you might like to see all the lovely growth from the beautiful rain. Last years this has been fairly dry and have lost a lot of my black wattles down here. We are organising to replant a mix of native and decidious in the non animal corridors. My house is up along the left after about 5 properties that back onto the boundary on the left. Hoping the camera will be available this weekend.

Liz

Attached Files:

8. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Very lovely, Liz. So green and thriving.

: )

9. vicarious1

The rolling Meadows of the Liz in Oz :-) pretty !

10. vicarious1

www.phoenixperennials.com

Please visit our web page for information on the nursery, driving directions and a map.
    We are near the south end of the Knight Street Bridge and very easy to get to from all of the surrounding municipalities and beyond.

My favorite nursery HAVE A LOOK ..they have stunning pics

11. Liz

Love the heliborous. Must go and see what mine are doing. Been a while since I have been down the bottom of the garden. I inherited a lovely mix from a neighbour who was renting and he could not move all the plants he had made. The haul at the time also included some really nice camellia. All are flowering this year with the good rain. Have just discovered a huge birds nest fern and some tree ferns at the side of the drive. No 1 son must be collecting. He has also bought some retaining sleepers (boards)and has indicated he is taking some time off. Maybe there will be some garden remodelling. Not sure if I am happy particularly if things start to disappear!!

Liz

12. vicarious1

I haven't got one Helli...at 39.$ for a tiny little pot...really..I rather look at them on the pictures..It takes a whole array to really enjoy the Helli's one color alone isn't that exciting and on need the right space for it ...
    Well If your no1 son will landscape for you, I guess if something disappear you will know where it went :-) (the other side of the garden? hihi ) huge drenching rain here 1st time in 18 weeks WE NEEDED IT earlier now it will kill my tomatoes that aren't covered. I hate the look of tomatoes all covered in plastic etc its so NOT GREEN. Anyway I am nearly at the end
    So here I give what's left of some of my Teddybear Sunflowers and Mummies left overs
    I did not know when i cut them down they will bloom again. I used to toss them when they were finished and this year they dies to fast but after cutting away the drying blooms I saw the little new buds underneat. Thanks Dana.

Attached Files:

13. Liz

OOOH like the sonnen blumen. Must show these to daughter. She is trying to sprout the ordinary ones but think the snail army is finaly active after the good rain.

Liz

14. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

You are most welcome Vic,
    I don't really know what for! But I'll take any positive vibes you care to send this way!

The Teddies are fab! Looks like you had some fun with them when you took the pics too, nice.

Take a break and enjoy a little light snack :)
    D

Attached Files:

15. PennyG

PennyG Active Member

Hi all.

I had to laugh when you's were discussing Tim Hortons, in my little town of about 18thousand people, they are building yet another, its to open before Christmas and we will have 6!!!!
    When we went to New York, i found lots of Tim Hortons along the way, so they have moved South, funny, i tried Dunkin Donuts in New York city and hated the coffee :)

16. vicarious1

Dana.. I don't know what I like more the plate or the fruit ? Is it that a a figue ?

17. The Hollyberry Lady

Cool shots, Vic.

18. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

Yes, I found out here that it is a Desert King Fig.
    This was the first year it has fruited so it has been a particular delight and deserving of a pretty plate.

D

19. The Hollyberry Lady

Dana, if those are figs, is the tree in a pot or in the ground?

20. Dana09

Dana09 Active Member

In the ground on a raised bed facing south with a fence behind.

It is a heat sink and protected from the harshest winds by nearby trees behind it as well.

This spot fared well in a bad winter last year while I lost hardier things in another location more exposed to the winds. Eucalyptus died back to the ground elsewhere but the figs are fine, maybe a twig lost here or there.

D

21. The Hollyberry Lady

Very cool, Dana.

I just recently received a coulple of Fig cuttings from someone in Cleveland, Ohio, and I am trying to root them now. I am excited too, because they are dwarf varieties that are said to grow excellent in a pot.

Neither of them are cold-hardy, so I will of course bring them inside over Winter, but I am told they will produce figs from year to year! I am so thrilled, and so grateful to have them.

Sherry

22. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Vic,

Can I choose an orange image please?

...just one teeny weeny image lol

23. vicarious1

You can download no ? or screen shoot ? which one you like the close up to the petals only in big format is my best that one is for my sale site but any other you are welcome to send me a message with a normal e-mail and I send it to you no problem my pleasure

24. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oh you sell them , sorry Vic.

For the one I like I will send a mail and thanks for the permission. I won't dl from here I will wait.

Thanks Vic!

25. corcor

corcor Active Member

Just sharing a photo of a balloon flower i took in june i think.
    baloonflower.JPG