Post a peek of yourself here...

Discussion in 'Conversations Forum' started by The Hollyberry Lady, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Would you Hollyberry?

Fantastic!

That long eh

I have some new Geranium flowers, pink with a dark leave, a lovely contrasting plant.

When do Geraniums go to seed?

Here is an awesome geranium image. I took it last years, its at a neighbours house near my sisters.

Attached Files:

2. The Hollyberry Lady

The Hollyberry Lady New Member

Yes, I would send you some. Just Pm me with a mailing address. I grow mostly zonal geraniums and when the flowers die a seed pod/pods are left behind that look like long needles growing out of the flower stems. When the stem of the 'needle' turns brown, this means the seeds inside are ready.

: )

3. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

Oh well Hollyberry,

I can send you my new plant's seeds then, not sure how many with it being new.

Thanks. I have sent stuff to Ontario before so I will send as sign for when I have some seed.

4. The Hollyberry Lady

Too funny, Tugo - hahahaha

Yes, no worries Katalina, I will send you some - pm me...

Sherry

5. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

You said you were germinating some weeping maples...

What's your advice on making succulent cuttings root, btw? I've dipped them in root hormone and put 'em in a mini greenhouse with a heating pad...

6. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

I did not advise that but maybe a plastic bag over each one,

Make sure its working by making sure its steamy inside the bag.

7. tugo

tugo Active Member

By me I just put them into the soil, even no rooting hormone, very little water first day and coming a few days no water at all.

8. tugo

tugo Active Member

Dear HbL, you will not be happy to hear but, as wrote you one time before, JM from seeds (like many other plants) come out with different characteristics than the mother plant.
    See my seedling from the same seeds I sent you. It does not looking to be a weeping type (maybe later?) but also the formation of the leaves are also different. As far as I know, you need to get cuttings and propagate.

Attached Files:

9. vicarious1

vicarious1 Active Member 10 Years

Burnaby North on a slope facing south & a view :-)
    It all looks gorgeous I CAN NOT LOAD all the pictures when I click on them they do not magnify this is happening for the past 10minutes.

10. vicarious1

Well at that size I think nothing can weep :-) haha It's got to stand up and get tall first

11. vicarious1

Tugo as you have so many RED BARON ( you lucky one) I was told by someone IN THIS FORUM that they are NOT perennials. So you live to tell that the tale is wrong. Mine died
    last winter MAYBE due to the very cold weather... Ok the seeds reside in the top of the black brushes. Sadly I used all of mine and nothing grew till MAYBE (still praying and talking to it)
    one small one ...If you get lots of seeds would you send me some later on.

12. Katalina25

Katalina25 New Member

*howls

Ah its just a wee babe Tugo..no worries. Its doing fine, even got color.

13. The Hollyberry Lady

Yes ShearMe, you don't need rooting hormone, nor a heat mat - especially in summer. Also, be leery of using bag coverings this time of year as well, because mold and white fuzzy growth on the soil are more than likely. I only use bag coverings in the colder months, but never in summer. We are extremely humid here, so a cover isn't necessary. Just something to think about, that's all.

Tugo is correct, in that very little water is necessary to root succulents. In fact when I send cuttings through the mail, I bury them in dry soil with just a mist or two of water mixed in, and often they are rooting by the time the person receives them! Too cool, huh? No fuss, they are so easy. If the soil is too wet though, they can rot!

: O

Yes, Tugo, I do realize that my weeping crimson queen seeds may not produce seedlings identical to the mother plant, but it was my understanding that one or two might - is this correct? You gave me 11 seeds, so surely one will turn out red, won't it?

I must have one, bottom line. If I have to go to the nursery and put out the $89.99 they want for one, then so be it! This is not just a passing fancy - I want to grow many different varieties and really enjoy these beautiful trees. I am so in love with them.

14. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Seeds are so unreliable, but at least you'll have some nice trees if nothing else. You can get a red weeping maple for $90?!?!?!?!?!

15. The Hollyberry Lady

Yup - why, how much do they sell them for in your neck of the woods?...

16. tugo

tugo Active Member

Here the smallest JM red or green costs starting from 70 usd. And I agree with ShearMe, to get different lovely new maples but no name, would be also nice and fun.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  17. tugo

tugo Active Member

Vic, unfortunately I did not take the photo of the seeds and when you speak about black brushes than I believe I have sown some weed seeds instead of Red Baron:)) Tomorrow will look on the plant to see if any more seeds to photo.

Winter dye happens for such plants, I believe, if the roots are drawn in too much water. This happened to my carex red rooster. I had 2, one did not show any startups and the second has only one blade of 2-3 cms till now because the place they had the winter was the lowest part of the garden and all winter lond they stayed in wet.

18. The Hollyberry Lady

I am hoping at least one will turn out red for me. Are you saying then also, that they might not all be a weeping variety either, and that some may be upright?!!! I will see what I end up with.

In the meantime, I may just suddenly and mysteriously appear with a weeping red maple one of these days soon...

19. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member

Well, I haven't seen any small ones, but there was one at our local nursery going for $1400 or so and it was only as tall as I if not shorter.

20. The Hollyberry Lady

That is just insane!!!

: O

21. tugo

tugo Active Member

Sure not from the seeds if so soon. Let's wait the good news, then.

Vic, lemon grass also looks very beautiful and it is much hardy than Red Baron. During winter, abt 1/3 of the leaves were still vivid and the new ones came out during the very first days of spring.
    DSC01384.JPG

22. The Hollyberry Lady

I might just wait and see what happens first with your seeds, Tugo, before I rush out to spend more money on plants. I have so much this season already - maybe I will get one next year if things don't work out with your seeds.

Besides, it's a bit late in the season now, and I will likely get the leftover runts that aren't that nice!

We'll see...

23. vicarious1

I looks looooovely . Does anyone has lemongrass? seeds I can only buy the one ready to eat in the Chinese supermarket.Thanks

24. smscore

smscore Member

I sent an email to Eric asking him about the album thing. And I started a new thread asking for advice on saving seeds. I hope I can count on an answer from you HL! Im sure you have tried and true advice.

25. ShearMe

ShearMe Active Member