Portable Saw Service in Vancouver?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Justine M, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

After lots of agonizing about whether or not to do it, I've decided to cut down a large Norway Spruce in our backyard that was severely topped by the storms that hit Stanley Park in 2006. I've been considering the merits of keeping this tree for 4 years, so it's no casual decision.

Since the trunk of this tree is magnificent, I'd like to have it sawn into planks for use in our home as an homage to the tree. (Don't worry, I'll also be planting many new Japanese Maples to replace it!) Does anyone know of a sawyer who does backyard sawing with a portable saw? I've been trying to google this sort of service and have come up empty handed.

Thank you in advance.

2. David Payne Terra Nova

David Payne Terra Nova Active Member

Not too many people have those portable saws around here. There was a guy in Coquitlam a few years ago, but there isn't much money to be made or logs to salvage for them to be hauling a saw around. I know his wifes maiden name, but don't know how to get ahold of him.

I did see some ads in the local Coquitlam papers about a year ago. (Coquitlam Now, Tri-City News)

The alternative is to have your logging contractor cut the logs to the proper length and have them sent to the mill on a truck.
    There are small mills set up all along the Fraser River.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

The usual rig for this is called an Alaskan Mill, I know a few people across the US with them but no one locally. Perhaps talk to a few local forestry/arborist suppliers and see if they can help locate a sawyer. IE Pacific Arborist Supplies, Fraser Valley Equipment, Arrow Equipment, Howe Sound Equipment(Squamish)..

4. growing4it

growing4it Active Member 10 Years

There's a company called that offers a portable saw service Vancouver Portable Milling ....here's some contact info that I got off the web....I hope they can help.

Tel: 778 883 4970
    Email: hawkinsjas@gmail.com

5. Justine M

Justine M Active Member

Growing4it ~ thank you so much!! I'll call them and let you know how it works out!