Porch Garden

Discussion in 'Small Space Gardening' started by greenthumb95, Oct 13, 2008.

1. greenthumb95

greenthumb95 Active Member

Hi! Next spring i will be making a porch food gardem. I would like some sugestions besides Swiss Chard and Dwarf Tomatoes. Also i would like to have a few windowboxes of flowers and some hanging plants. Please respond soon!

2. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Many herbs, chives, cucumbers if you put a light (ie. bamboo) trellis in the pot, basil....really, you can grow a wide variety of veg. in containers, so make a list of what you like to eat, and go from there. Have a look at columnar apples and genetic dwarf fruit trees: you can produce a surprising amount of fruit in a small space.

3. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

peppers would be good and peas and beans would do well. you can make simple trellises for the peas and beans by attaching multiple pieces of string or wire to a piece of wood and attaching that to the roof of the porch and then train the vines to grow up them.

strawberry does well in those big pots with the cut outs around the sides for the off-shoots to grow in.

sage, basil, chives, mint, oregano, rosemary - all would do well in containers.