Poor succulent is slowly dying

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by BBunker, Dec 1, 2006.

1. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Whatever this succulent is, it doesn't like the care it is getting. I guess the first step is to find out what it's name is so I can find out how to care for it correctly. My guess is that it is a Kalanchoe of some kind. The first picture is when I brought it home at the end of October. The 2nd picture is now. Please help me ID this guy and give me some pointers on it's care.

Attached Files:

2. Rima

Rima Active Member

You've given no information on what you are doing in terms of watering (how much, when and how), or where the plant is with regard to light (exposure, hours), but it does look like it's in heavy soil that probably holds water much too long, and a lot of grit and a lot less peat would probably help, as would giving it as much sun all day as possible, and most important for a succulent, water only when most of the compost is dry (and you'll have a hard time doing that in mostly peat - which is what 99% of 'potting soil' is. Plus plastic pots hold moisture longer than terra cotta ones.

3. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

I'm sorry, you're right I didn't give any information on the care or by the looks of the plant, mis-care. I water it about every 3 or 4 days if the soil is dry. I water in the morning, when I water, and with a hose with the attachment set to low. The plant probably gets about 1/2 to 1 cup water total at each watering. The soil is "Miracle Grow Potting Soil". The plant gets afternoon sun for about 2-3 hours.

Should I re-pot the plant in a different potting mix and move it to a part of my hard that gets more sun.

4. Newt

Newt Well-Known Member 10 Years

Hi BBunker,

I can't tell from you picture, but it appears that the new pot is too large for the size of the rootball. When repotting the new pot should be 2" larger then the pot it came out of. Is there a saucer as well? If so, that will hold water.

I agree with Rima. Use a potting soil with more grit such as perlite or purchase an organic potting soil if you can find it and add perlite to it for better drainage. Miracle Gro potting soil usually comes with synthetic fertilizers already in it.

Newt

5. Rima

Rima Active Member

And it does seem that you are watering much more often than necessary, especially in winter - many succulents go for 1-2 months now without water - or negative consequences.

6. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Thankyou for the info. I will go down and buy some perlite and repot it. I'll put an update in a month as to it's progress. (If I haven't killed it with too much attention.)

7. haul0348

haul0348 Member

I agree with Rima it appears to be over watered i made the same mistake myself. I also mixed in a little natural plain soil.

8. Rosemarie

Rosemarie Active Member

Just to add...I believe your plant may be Kalanchoe/Bryophyllum porphyrocalyx or Kalanchoe 'Wendy' (a cultivar of the aforementioned). I bought one of these recently. :)

9. BBunker

BBunker Active Member

Thankyou for naming another plant for me. I have moved this plant so that it is getting more sun, and stopped watering. It's looking a little better.