Ponytail palm outgrown garden bed

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Tamsicle, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Tamsicle

Tamsicle New Member

Hi we have a ponytail palm that was planted by the previous owner. It is approximately 2 - 2½ foot across the base, maybe even bigger and has out grown the raised garden bed that it's in and is pushing the logs and support posts over. It's only the front side if the plant that is restricted.

Will I need to redesign and rebuild the garden bed or is it possible to reduce the size of the front of the base without killing the plant so it can be contained in the current area?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't think it is advisable to reduce the size of the base, but I suppose it depends on what you want to risk. Even if it survives amputation, will the callused part be unsightly in a prominent place? Maybe replant elsewhere?

3. Tamsicle

Tamsicle New Member

Thanks for the reply, we have decided to get quotes to make the garden bed larger as we don't want to risk cutting anything off the base and it would be a difficult and perhaps reasonably expensive task to move it and risk its death anyway.