ponytail palm blooms again!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by myle, Sep 11, 2009.

1. myle

myle Member

A year ago I asked for advice due to an infestation of mealy bugs on my 12ft ponytail palm. After months of treatment and a very pathetic looking plant, I decided to cut off most of the trunk and see what happens. It was that or the compost. Here is the result. First there were 5 new growths at the top of the severed trunk. Now we have one, possibly three in the bulb at the bottom!! And the best news is there is no sign of mealy bugs. We do have some little red ants, Any chance that they are eating the bugs? Anyone have any advice on the ants? Leave them? Get rid of them?

Attached Files:

2. MrsGreenthumbs

MrsGreenthumbs Active Member

Hi Myle,

Really nice Ponytail Palm! I do not know anything about the ants, however, I have spiders (not spider mites) that hang out in my plants and I believe they are eating any bugs as I am pest free. There tiny grey and white spiders who jump...yeah I know..eeek! But they seem to help.

Mrs.Greenthumbs

3. myle

myle Member

Good to know about the spiders. My thought was that the ants were munching on the mealy bugs but wasn't sure. So far the plant seems to be thriving.

4. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, spiders on plants are okay...the little spider mites, not so much.

that's a fabulous come-back the plant has made!!! i'm so glad you didn't give up on it!!

5. myle

myle Member

Yes, I am pleased with it. And I appreciated all the advice last year. I must admit, I continue to be somewhat obsessed with it and continue to check each and every day for any suggestion of mealies! Thanks again.

6. doxie1064

doxie1064 Member

Amazing!!! I don't know much about Pony Tail Palms. We actually have one in our office. I bought it for my office mate a couple of years ago after she admired one in a store during a lunch break. We had no idea what the plant was, but after some she research, she figured it our. Here is a picture of the palm 3 years later.

Attached Files: