ponytail? dying?

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by derekd, Dec 10, 2009.

1. derekd

derekd Member

We've had this plant for some 28yrs ,wifies estimation . I say less but at least 16yrs in the same spot .
    Is it a ponytail palm ?. Once Identified the plant is losing leaves at a greater rate than they are replaced.
    It currently resides in 12 dia pot, has 3stems,2",8",48". has a 6" dia. bulbous base above the soil.The pot is 5' from a south facing ,half glass outside door.the plant was professionally repotted 3yrs since ,gets watered from the top at about 1 cup/week .Since about august the tallest stem has lost 50% + of it's leaves ,shortest is only green, at the growing tip ,while this 8" seems healthy .
    Too much/little water ,fertillizer ? any ideas to bring this scraggy/unhealthy plant back to it's former glory would be most welcome.
    Derekd

Attached Files:

• palm.jpg
      palm.jpg
      File size:
      86.3 KB
      Views:
  2. joclyn

joclyn Rising Contributor

yes, i'd say it's a ponytail palm - which is not a palm, actually.

does that container have drainage holes??? if not, i'd move it into something that does.

what kind of soil mix is it in?? they need something pretty well draining - cactus mix with extra drainage items added in (perlite or small stones)

have you looked for bugs?? mealy bugs like pp's - they look like little bits of cotton fluff. if you have them, get some q-tips and dip in rubbing alcohol and touch to the bugs to kill...then get fresh swabs and dip and then rub both sides of the leaves and make sure to get down in the crevises where the leaves meet the trunk - you can't see the eggs or juveniles and that's where they'd be. repeat treatment in 10-14 days.

3. derekd

derekd Member

HI Jocilyn,
    Thank you for the suggestions ,the pot and soil mix check out but I never considered bugs.....Derekd