Ponkin Mandarin problems

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by skeeterbug, Apr 25, 2006.

1. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

I have a Ponkin mandarin that is in the 3rd growing season since I planted it. The first year it numerous fruits which I thinned to about a dozen. They were doing fine until hurricane Ivan which knocked off all of the fruit. There were no blooms the second year, (I understand mandarins can be alternate year producers), but now that the new growth has come out and I do not see any blooms I am beginning to get concerned that I am doing something wrong.

2. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

In addition to the fact that the tree is not bearing, I have noticed that there are quite a few dead stems at the ends of the branches. There are also black spots (1-2 inches long) along some of the otherwise green stems of 1-2 yr old wood. Could that be the cause? If so what is it and how do I eliminate the problem?

3. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Here are some pictures of the tree and stems. I would really like to know what is causing this. New stems starting from the bottom of the tree appear to be growing fine, but some of this year's new growth on the upper (older limbs) has died.

Attached Files:

4. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

5. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

Thanks for the link, but I am not sure that fits. We did have a very wet year last year, but soil here is sandy and drains fast. No sign of damage on the trunk, but most damage appears on limbs that are less than 1/2 inch in diameter. These lesions start as a black spot in the middle of otherwise green stems. The close up of the stem in the second picture shows where one of those spots started (where the stem turns from green to black). Earlier this year that was a relatively healthy limb, now it is essentially dead from that spot on. This may still be the fungus you mentioned, if not it may be another fungus that is controlable by the systemic fungicides mentioned in the link, so I will try to find those fungicides and use them.

6. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Careful using systemic fungicides on Citrus as most systemic chemicals will also be present in the fruits as well.

7. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

How long will the fungicide last-- there is no fruit this year. Also, should I cut all the infected limbs off below any sign of disease?

8. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Most systemic chemicals wont last more than a couple months in the plant, but still be careful in what you use to make sure that it wont persist in the plant or the soil for a longer duration. If the disease is a root contracted disease, which it seems like it is, then pruning the dead branch tips will not help to prevent the fungus from spreading as it does its damage in the cambium layer of the crown of the plant. Also be sure that the systemic fungicide you use is one that is absorbed by the root system.

9. L.plant

L.plant Active Member

Also I'm not 100% positive that the damage is from a root contracted fungus, or any fungus for that matter, so you may want to research the problem further before you take any action.

10. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

That plant looks like it had some major frost damage. Citrus that are activley growing & get a quick freeze will split the bark. Many times it causes quite a bit of branch die back. I would cut it back a few inches below the bad spots & keep a close eye on it.

11. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I have a few questions for you. About when do you see
    the infection spread from a black spot as you call it to
    when the outer portion of the branch dies back to live
    growth? Are you losing entire limbs? Can you show
    a photo of the trunk of this tree? Do you have an idea
    as to what this Mandarin was grafted onto? If it was
    grafted or budded was it supposed to be a dwarf, a
    semi-dwarf or a standard tree? Sometime read the
    description of Hendersonula Branch Wilt from this link
    below and go from there.

Plant Disease Publications, Cooperative Extension, College
    of Agriculture & Life Sciences, The University of Arizona

Jim

12. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

In response to the frost damage, we did have some frost, but the lowest temp was 29 and that was in Feb.--The tree should have been acclimated, however we had had a warm Jan. It may be the cause of some of the damage, especially to smaller limbs, but I saw splitting only on one limb and I do not think that explains the black spots.

As to the question of how fast it progresses, the first post was 3 weeks ago. At that time the limb you see in the closeup had a black spot that was about 1 in long where you see the limb turn from black to green. Beyond that point the limb was still greem and trying to grow. As you can see the limb is pretty much dead from that point on, although some of the leaves are still green. At this point I have cut all infected limbs below the lowest sign. Most of the cut limbs were small, but several were the size you see in the closeup and were cut back about 2/3 of the way.

The tree was grafted. It was bought from a grower in So. Lousianna about 3 years ago. I do not think it is a dwarf, but have no idea what the rootstock was. I will read the link you suggested and post a picture of the trunk later.

Thanks for all of the responses, I am new to citrus, but have been gardening for years.

13. skeeterbug

skeeterbug Active Member

The Hendersonula Wilt seems to fit the discription. The link to mechanical damage may also be significant since we had so many hurricanes last year.

Here are a couple pictures of the trunk and graft.

Attached Files:

14. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

I would not be overly concerned about being new
    to Citrus, even some of us that have been around
    these plants for years still learning something new
    all of the time.

You gave me enough clues to think that a branch
    wilt might be affecting this tree. Mother Nature
    hits the tree hard and weakens the tree and then
    we get hit with an invader that causes us more
    trouble. I can see the canker pretty easily which