Ponderosa Lemon

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by rudell, Oct 7, 2008.

1. rudell

rudell Active Member 10 Years

joefrank....that is too funny 2 seconds ago I'm on the Kodak easy share for the 10mp with 12x zoom...the 8mp that you have takes awsome pictures!

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Interesting, Jim. Would it be possible for you to post a picture that shows the difference in fruit and leaf?

3. Laaz

Laaz Active Member 10 Years

Joe what you have pictured is a Calomondin. I have one of those in the ground & about 15 ft tall.

4. rudell

I'm soooo excited....look what is popping up on my ponderosa....are these flower buds...I thinkkkkk sooo...woo oooo
    now the only thing I did was give it Miracle-Gro "all purpose" 24-8-16 as we have absolutely noooo citrus fertilizer around here
    now since this is a potted citrus should I fertilize every 4 to 6 weeks as it suggests or some places it says not to fertilize after sept?????

Attached Files:

5. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

If your lemon is growing over the winter months (in a warm room with good light) fertilize still, but at a lower strength - maybe half strength, due to the shorter days. They are flower buds :) and when they open they will smell really nice.

Im not sure what is in the fertilizer you have used, but if it doesn't contain trace elements eg iron, copper, magnese etc etc the plant may benefit from a dose of them

6. rudell

ok...above pictures are from October ....look at where we are now...could these be little ponderosas and not flowers...the shape has me wondering as up close it really does look like little lemons????

Attached Files:

7. rudell

could you give me an example of what product if I were to need iron, copper, magnese etc etc....I do have these in my well water ..would this do??

8. rudell

another question.....now my ponderosa seems pretty healthy in all at the top (see leafy picture) but contains no leaves at the bottom...does this mean overwatering? underwatering?? what
    picture of top and bottom attached

Attached Files:

9. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Hmmm I dont know if watering would be an issue. I tend to buy less than healthy plants because I enjoy nursing them back to health lol and quite a few of them grow leaves quicker toward to top than the bottom. Maybe it has something to do with light? Tend to get higher light levels the higher the canopy, so maybe it is focusing its attention there for now.

10. rudell

look......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now when am I gonna see lemon buds ????? is this after the flower falls or ????

Attached Files:

11. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

The center of the flower swells and turns into the lemon,
    after the petals will fall and you will be left with a longish gren blob, it then (if your lucky) swells to a lemon (over some months),once its getting to the correct size it will then if your lucky ripen

This picture is of a budhas hand citron not a lemon, but still citrus, it shows the center easier the flowers are just about the same size as a lemon

flower with petals

Fruit

just after petal drop

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  12. rudell

thank you for the info.starloc..this is my first lemon tree...will keep you posted on changes...I'm getting the impression from your post you havent' had good results or??

13. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

Ive had citrus a few years and havent had that many problems once i learned how to water them, i now spend about 5 hours a day with the citrus plants (but i have close on 100 of them) , when i spent an hour a week there were more problems with them even with a few trees

At first with citrus, you presume you are doing things wrong when the flowers and fruit fall off, in general its just because the tree cant take a lot of fruit,

You get used to it!, The smaller the tree the less fruit it will keep, you dont need to thin fruit, it will thin itself out

14. rudell

thank you for the pictures...! ""once you learned how to water them"" I'm thinking I will learn from you...
    you have 100 trees..I'm assuming outside..ahhaahha...lucky you...I'm in canada so can only have potted trees...

15. StarLoc

StarLoc Active Member

Outside i have a mandarin and a lemon tree (quite happy at -3 C today!), both close on 10 foot high, along with loads of apple,pear and cherry trees, all in large 100L to 300L pots

The rest of them......are Inside the house...., i bought a greenhouse, but its still in bits ( i have been told, no more plants in the house! )

i have a few rooms in the house for tropical plants 2 with growlights, heater mats, humidifyers...., i have been raided by the drug squad 8 or so times since august as they think im growing canabis

Every room has trees and plants, from eucyliptus to pine trees, peach trees and citrus, strawberrys, chillie plants etc

16. rudell

your halarious....this is too funny I was thinking this when I started reading you had all this in your house..I thought to myselft the neighbors must think he's growing pot..ahhahaha
    please do share some pictures of all these plants..I would love to be a relative and say I want some of those seeds

17. rudell

well this is where my citrus is at..the pictures are not very clear but I now have 9 little lemons on my tree...I'm hoping they will not fall off...

Attached Files:

18. Junglekeeper

Congratulations. Expect most of the fruitlets to abort. My guess is you'll get one or two to grow on.

19. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Nice to see the development :) Don't worry if all nine don't stay on the tree. In fact, chances are most of them will not, but you never know! The tree looks pretty young, and will not bear dozens of fruit straight away. Would be nice if you ended with 2, 3 or 4 lemons at the end of it though. And when the days get longer, it may flower again and add more fruit even as the current fruit ripens.

My tahiti lime (about same size as your lemon) has had about 20 'fruitlets' start off. About six remain. It also has 4 other blossoms on it, so will see how they develop. Most of the fruitlets are small, but one is the size of a peach stone now, so I think it is going to stay :)

20. rudell

well I kinda guessed 5 could not survive on one branch ....is that normal to only have one lemon at a time ! ?

21. rudell

Here in Canada right now 5pm it's dark out so I'm hoping one or two will survive until spring when I can take the tree outside to get full sun

22. Junglekeeper

My guess is based on the relative small size of your tree. I think fruit clusters would be more common on larger sized trees that have the ability to supply the nutrients necessary for greater numbers of fruit.

23. rudell

makes sense...

24. rudell

well this is just an update of my citrus ....""going very well"" I have 9 lemons growing and it's flowering again...
    this is what I'm using every 2 months = Miracle Gro 24-8-16 now on the off month of not fertilizing I use epsom salt ....now I read read another post somewhere where it was saying I should be fertilizing every month??

now I do have a question...is this container too small for my treee....I know citrus like small containers but I see roots on top as pictured but non coming out of the drain holes in the bottom ??

Attached Files:

25. aesir22

aesir22 Active Member

Does seem to be coming along well! Best way to check if the container is too small is to lift the plant from the pot and see how the roots look. If they are circling and constricted, it may be time to move up a pot size. If it looks alright, just leave it be.