POLL: Free Seed Exchange Forum?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by SvenLittkowski, May 18, 2010.

?

Would you like to have a Seed Exchange Forum?

1. Yes, great idea - that can be useful!

6 vote(s)
    85.7%
  2. Today is not my day, or I have as usual no opinion - and that a lot!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I don't want the possibility to exchange seeds with others at all.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. SvenLittkowski

SvenLittkowski Active Member

Hi.

During the last days and weeks, I came to recognize the need for a free possibility to exchange seeds with other members here. There was a seed exchange sub forum here but it has been discontinued. The admin of this forum gave me a link to another forum where seed exchanges are supported, but that other forum is not only about seed exchanges. So I want to establish a forum just for one purpose - seed exchanges.

So I would offer to create a free online forum just for that purpose, and would like to find out, what you all think about it? Would you like to be able to exchange seeds with others? Would you like to have a platform to exchange them if provided free of cost?

Please use the associated poll for your vote.

Also, if you have suggestions for such a forum, please post them here in this thread.

2. Tegal85

Tegal85 Member

This could be useful but i can also see problems arising from this such as the spread of disease or weedy plants to other areas from less educated/ knowledgeable people "like my self :P as i'm still studying my self" also the possibility of the customs policy's etc that would be in-order for the transit of said seeds.

On the other hand it would be a great way for other people to be able to get some of the plants they wanted.
    (Just random off the top thoughts on the idea)

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ditto to Tegal - nice idea in principle, but the legal problems for cross-border exchange could be insuperable.

4. SvenLittkowski

Michael, please tell me more about the legal problems. Do you mean just the import/export rules of each country, or anything else?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, the import/export (particularly import) rules of each country.

6. SvenLittkowski

Well, but those rules are to be known by anyone who wants to send or receive seeds from another country. No online forum for seed exchange would make it to its own matter.

Thanks for the answer, Michael. I think, I am going ahead with the forum.

The name of the forum will be "InternationalSeedExchange" (ISE) and address will be
    http://InternationalSeedExchange.jamaica-focus.com.

It's there already, but still under construction...

7. Tegal85

Tegal85 Member

I was thinking more of ot just interstate or international problems but even problems on a more local level with plant diease and other problems such as noxious weed policys as they can vary ever so much even from Shire to Shire yet alone other problems that may be encounted due to insect eggs and such within the seed. on a International level it is safer in someways at least there is a customs officer that is trained on what to look for inspecting such products (but more local trades or even interstate in a lot of country's there are huge law veraiations and little inspection then when someone gets done for introducing a new noxious weed species to that area)

If you are going ahead with this as you said may i just suggest haveing a "readme" sections on recomended contact people before acquiring the seeds"

8. SvenLittkowski

Tegal85, you're making some good points here. Thanks for your suggestion, and also for the time you have dedicated to my idea. I appreciate that.

I would like very much to go ahead and just create a number of important ReadMe postings. Just - my English is not that good, and for that type of text I would prefer some real English (I am a German though I live in Jamaica). Please have a look to my signature , there you can see the link to the new forum. The design is not yet permanent, but it will work for the begin. Please don't mind the poor layout, I am working on a much better logo, and also have some ideas for the other parts of the layout.

Please come to the new ISE forum, and do some testing for me, if you like the idea. And if you like as well, please feel free to create all those important ReadMe postings you can think of. Not only that the English of an Australian is supposed to be better than that of a German, but you also might have much more insight as you have proven with your posting about plant diseases. Are you interested in that? Please let me know. It would be great to have you on board!