Identification: "Polka Dot Plant"-like plant ID help

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by hajah, Jul 19, 2005.

1. hajah

hajah Member

Hello -

Unfortunately I can't provide a photo as the plant is dead - purely from neglect (I was on medical leave and not all my office plants made it). I'd like to replace it but can't identify it and can't find a comparable photo.

The plant's characteristics:
    It was an indoor plant that looked a lot like Polka Dot Plant (the green-variegated variety, not pink or red) in scale and coloring, except that the white markings were in even stripes going along the veins to the tip of the leaves (not the spotty marks of the "Polka Dot Plant").

Otherwise, the plant was small and compact (like Polka Dot Plant), but a teensy bit fuzzier than Polka Dot Plant, and perhaps a shade bluer in color than the green of Polka Dot Plant. Also, the leaves were more uniform in size, too, not just coloring and striation.

It preferred little to no direct light, and was definitely moisture loving (it wilted dramatically when the soil became dry to the touch).

the leaves grew off of stalks that were fuzzy and compact and which never got longer than about 5 inches, forming a kind of round mound of lovely leaves.

It was a charming little plant and I'd really love to replace it. If someone could give me a few suggestions - does this sound at all familiar? - I would recognize it if I saw it.

Thanks so much!
    *goes back to looking at photos in vain hope*

2. Joe Keller

Joe Keller Active Member 10 Years

It sounds like a Fittonia verschaffeltii var. argyroneura

3. hajah

hajah Member

That's it! Thank you SO much! *beams*