Pole beans?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Beekeeper, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Beekeeper

Beekeeper Active Member

In the northern hemisphere water goes down a drain counter clockwise. In the southern hemisphere it goes down clockwise. In my garden in B.C. pole beans climb counter clockwise. Unwind them and wind them up clockwise and in a few hours they unwind themselves and continue in the counterclockwise direction. Wind them clockwise, tie them and they will start from that point and wind counterclockwise. Would you folks who live in the southern hemisphere let me know which way your pole beans wind themselves. Thanks!

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Clockwise. So do my climbing squashes and morning glories. Passionfruit go both ways.

3. Beekeeper

Beekeeper Active Member

Great answer! But what happens at the equator? How do they climb the pole?

4. lorax

I've never tried to grow pole beans at Mitad del Mundo - it's way too dry. However I have friends there growing passionfruits - I'll ask them. I'd expect that it's about 50-50.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. lorax

Well, I just got back from the equator, and my friend's vining beans are going clockwise. However, her passionflowers are going ccw, and her Citrayota (a cucurbit of some sort) seems to have gone straight up, although the Luffas are going clockwise.