Pointsetta Cut back

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by kinnika, Apr 13, 2008.

1. kinnika

kinnika Active Member

I have a huge Pointsetta ( rose) that was given to me 3 years ago. Last year we had to use a Fridge box to cover it. It has bloomed fantastic for me. It is over 42 inches tall. Now my question is this....The stalks are very large and woody and is now starting to look very shabby. How can I get cuttings off of it to start another one? It is still blooming like crazy.

2. Rhynno

Rhynno Active Member

Here are what two of my books say....

start with a seven inch pot, crock it, and fill with sharp, coarse, clean sand. You should probably take at least five cuttings, each about six inches in length; dip the ends into hormone powder a couple of inches and plant around the edge of the pot, each halfway into the sand. Place the pot in a warm bright-light window, water carefully twice a week keeping the temperature above 60 degrees day and night.

Alternatively,

the cut ends should be treated with water to seal in the latex, and they should be inserted in small pots containing a mix of equal parts peat moss and coarse sand or perlite. Keep the pots at normal room temperative in filtered sunlight and water only enough to make the mixture barely moist. Allow the top two-thirds to dry out between waterings. When rooting has occured (normally in three or four weeks) and the cuttings are growing actively, move them into pots of fresh soil-based potting mixture.

I hope that those help some,

(sorry for the typos)

Cheers,

Ryan