poinsettia problems!

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Hartley Botanic, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

As is tradition, my mother bought me a poinsettia for xmas. It looked glorious in my lounge, but is now on its way out, I think. I just wanted some opinions as to why/how to save it, if possible?

One by one its leaves have fallen off, and now only the red leaves (bracts?) are left :( It's quite a large plant so looks a little odd with the tall, bald stems. Poor thing.

A friend told me that these plants hate drafts, but my flat is anything but - I would even say it might be a case of the heating being too much?! I have watered the plant as often as instincts tell me to, but there's no denying the fact it's not thriving.

Any ideas on what I have done wrong, or could do to put things right gratefully received!

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

OK, what you're seeing sounds like something that is actually perfectly normal for Poinsettias here (within their native range). Poinsettias are naturally deciduous!

Right after blooming, all of the leaves except the bracts fall off, the plant goes dormant for about 4 months, then flushes all sorts of new growth. You don't really have to do anything for it at all, other than watering it about once a week or when the soil dries out to the depth of your second knuckle.

During this time, it's important to check the bracts and stems of the plant for spider mites - this is the most common affliction of indoor Poinsettias, and it's easy to cure with a spray consisting of bit of neutral dishsoap in water and a drop of oil of oregano.

4. Hartley Botanic

Hartley Botanic Active Member

Wow guys, really helpful thanks!

I am thrilled to learn it's not a wrong move I have made. Everything I have done to care for it thus far has been the right thing it seems.

Massive thanks again - from myself and the plant :)